Job location: Worcester Employment Type:
Full-time Posted data:
R0001324 JOB TITLE
Assistant Teaching Professor of GermanLOCATION
Humanities & Arts DepartmentDIVISION NAME
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPIJOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARYJOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Assistant Teaching Professor of German
Location: Worcester, MA
Department: Humanities and Arts
Division: Modern Languages
The Department of Humanities and Arts (HUA) at Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) seeks to appoint a renewable teaching-track assistant professor of German language and literature in August 2021. We encourage pedagogy that is intersectional and multicultural. We seek scholars whose work develops transnational, international, comparative or global perspectives linking Germany to the broader world. Candidates should incorporate current trends in language pedagogy and technology.
Core duties include teaching undergraduate courses over the course of four 7-week terms, including the introductory, intermediate, and advanced German courses. The successful candidate will also work with colleagues to create a teaching agenda that can include disciplinary and interdisciplinary humanities courses and global project-based learning opportunities.
In their application materials, we encourage candidates to discuss how their scholarship and teaching in German can enhance the department’s existing and emerging thematic strengths, which include migration and mobility; race, ethnicity, and indigeneity; gender and sexuality; social justice; science and technology; and urban and environmental justice. Further, as home to a humanities-based International and Global Studies program, we ask candidates to consider how their approach to integrating transnational, international, comparative or global perspectives creates opportunities not only in German but in global studies broadly defined.
Job responsibilities will include:
- Teaching language courses with occasional advanced seminars
- Participating in initiatives conducted by the Humanities and Arts Department;
- The ability to work creatively and collaboratively with faculty across disciplines;
- Contribute to German curriculum and curricular development.
- Ph.D. in German, German Studies or a closely related field (e.g. Comparative Lit, German language, teaching German as a foreign language) in hand before August 2021;
- Native or near-native fluency in German;
- Capacity to work in synergy with the other disciplines in the humanities and arts; and
- Evidence of language teaching experience, excellence and versatility at the university level.
As part of your application, please submit:
- Cover letter that addresses your teaching philosophy and experience and how you see yourself adding to WPI’s efforts to build more diverse, equitable, inclusive learning and working environments;
- C.V. that includes contact information for three professional references;
- Materials that show evidence of teaching experience and effectiveness, a statement of teaching philosophy, including two syllabi.
- Three letters of reference, a writing sample, and a videorecorded language teaching demo will be requested from those candidates who advance to the second stage.
Review of applications will begin May 28, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.FLSA STATUS
United States of America (Exempt)WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.