OFFICE COORDINATOR, MARY LOU WILLIAMS CENTER for BLACK CULTURE
Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
Nature of ResponsibilitiesThe Office Coordinator reports to the Director of the Mary Lou Williams Center for Black Culture (MLWC) and provides administrative support to Mary Lou Williams Center staff. S/he provides excellent customer service to Center visitors, facilitates new hires, serves as financial and payroll liaison, manages the facility usage and assists with the programs, services and marketing of the Center. They serve as the point of contact for the Center in operations of the space and interactions with all aspects of the facility. Specific Duties Administrative Management 20%
- Develop and maintain files and ensure that archival procedures are up-to-date and followed.
- Coordinate scheduling of meetings and appointments, especially MLWC reservations.
- Develop and maintain financial tracking system to facilitate budget projections and audits.
Human Resource Management 10%
- Assist with various personnel actions related to student staff, including but not limited to, onboarding, performance appraisals, schedules and professional development.
- Serve as primary representative to patrons in response to inquiries in person, by telephone and via email correspondence. Determine which inquiries require supervisor’s attention.
- Assist with execution of MLWC programs (concept creation, production, and execution).Assist with providing culturally conscious program training to Black affinity group members.
- Assist with regular website updates and maintenance.
- Knowledge of Duke operational systems (payroll, card access, facilities management, etc.) highly desirable.
- Knowledge of and interest in Black people, history, and culture are important.
- Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal skills are essential.
- High-level organizational skills, attention to detail and discretion are required.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office is necessary.
Work requires a broad knowledge of clerical and accounting principles and practices normally acquired through two years of post secondary education in secretarial science or a related business field.
Work generally requires three years of related secretarial/clerical experience to become competent in the administration of complex office functions related to office organization and management, communications, and budgetary/accounting activities. * An optional typing speed of 40 corrected words per minute may be required OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.