STUDENT SERVICES OFFICER (VA CERTIFYING OFFICIAL), REGISTRAR
Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
The primary function of this position is to serve as the School Certifying Official (SCO) for all Duke University students. The SCO is responsible for the accurate and complete certification of enrollment for all Duke University students using all chapters of VA and DoD benefits. The individual serving in this role will perform a wide range of duties from technical (managing records in a student information system) to communication and outreach with students, faculty, and staff.Minimum Education Preferred: Bachelor’s degree Experience:Required:
- One to three years of experience with the certification of veteran education benefits for post-secondary education or the equivalent combination of education and experience.Experience with the Veterans Administration (VA) Once system for the certification of veteran education benefits.
- Demonstrated understanding of the processes related to the application and certification of veteran education benefits.
- Three years of direct experience at a four-year university
- Experience with PeopleSoft Campus Solutions
- A positive attitude, capacity to work independently, and ability to plan and adapt to change
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage many related tasks at any given time.
- Strong critical thinking, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group – executives, managers, subject matter experts, students and faculty.
- Ability to understand and interpret federal regulations related to the certification of student enrollment/tuition/fees for Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and Department of Defense (DoD) funding.
- Manage the VA and DoD enrollment certification process for all Duke students.
- Collaborate with financial aid, bursar, campus collegiate unit staff, and the VA to ensure accurate reporting of enrollment and tuition and fees for student VA or DoD funding.
- Respond to inquiries from students, potential students, schools, departments, or the general public about the use of education benefits. Communicate with students and staff about the certification process, including providing interpretations and explanations of VA regulations.
- Maintain accurate and current records for all students receiving education benefits.
- Monitor the VA education benefit students’ academic progress each semester to ensure students are in compliance with the relevant University continuation policies and VA grade policies. Inform those students who have not met the minimal standards the potential impact on VA benefits. Participate in the development of policies and practices to streamline the benefit process and ensure institutional compliance with VA regulations.Regularly audit the files of students receiving benefits to ensure accurate reporting of enrollment, tuition, and fees.
- Assist in the management of the Yellow Ribbon Program.
- Assist in the annual submission of University bulletins to the State Approving Agency. Be knowledgeable in the programs approved for the use of education benefits.
- Assist in planning and facilitating general meetings for students using benefits and staff who assist in the process.
- Assist in the preparation of reports pertaining to students receiving VA benefits as required by the VA and the institution.
- Attend VA meetings/workshops/Webinars to keep abreast of changes in VA regulations.
- Disseminate and/or post information on VA education benefits and programs to students and staff.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of all specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.Minimum Qualifications
Work requires communications, analytical and organizational skills generally acquired through completion of a bachelor's degree program.
Work requires one year of experience in a placement, financial aid, admissions, or other student services function to become familiar with the student services area of specialty. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.