The incumbent of this position performs chair-side assisting in all phases of emergency dentistry, pediatric, orthodontic, prosthodontics, limited endodontic, limited oral surgery and periodontics assisting. Other related work will also be required which includes, but is not limited to, preventive and daily maintenance of dental operatory and equipment, clerical assignments, radiological and receptionist responsibilities. Serves as a liaison for patients, staff, students, residents and faculty within the dental college. The duties include, but are not limited to:
Chair Side Assistance
- Assist dental students, residents and/or faculty in the treatment of patients requiring emergency restorative, prosthodontics, periodontics, endodontics and/or oral surgery.
- Participate in 4 handed dentistry. Assist chair side with air, water and instruments. Mixing various materials as required.
- Assist in the management of difficult problems such as the apprehensive patient and/or the pre-medicated adult.
- Assist in the placement of rubber dam.
- Prepare local anesthetic syringe. Dispose of all sharps in designated sharps container after patient dismissed.
- Use mouth mirror for indirect vision retraction. Gently extract patient's cheek, adjusting mirror position to avoid pressure on oral structures.
- Perform high volume evacuation. Handle carefully not to move during instrument or hand piece use.
- Follow all published guidelines regarding personal protective gear and clinical infection control protocol, i.e. Aware of the MSDS sheets, handle and dispose of hazardous materials.
Instruments & Instruction
- Operates dental x-ray equipment to include taking routine and specialized radiographs as requested.
- Explain purpose of procedure to patient.
- Explain and place protective lead apron
- Obtains and stores dental and special supplies. Assigned operatories are kept clean and stocked.
- Maintains dental equipment in a clean operative condition on a daily basis.
- Cleaning, packaging, and maintaining instruments and equipment required including sending to and retrieving from central sterilization as needed for daily production.
- Using organizational software and assisting in appointing patients for follow-up care.
- Follow the organization's incident reporting protocol.
- Ensure ordering and inventory control of supplies, equipment, and dental instruments required for assigned clinics.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.