Laboratory Technician I - Pharmacology and Therapeutics
Job no: 516610
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine, Veteran's Preference Eligible
Department:29100000 - MD-PHARMACOLOGY / THERAPEUTICS
Laboratory Technician IJob Description:
The Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics is seeking candidates for a Laboratory Technician I position responsible for assisting researchers in studies into the brain basis for nicotinic receptor-based drug development. Techniques required for this position include microinjections of Xenopus oocytes with RNA coding for nicotinic acetylcholine receptors, maintenance of the oocytes, and electrophysiology.
Duties to include:
- Conducting experiments: preparing experimental drug and buffer solutions, pulling glass electrodes, preparing electrode holders, and operating the OpusXpress two-electrode voltage clamp electrophysiology system.
- Injecting oocytes for subsequent experiments, oocyte maintenance, preparing injection glass, and preparing RNA dilution mixtures.
- Participating in the planning and logistics of experiments under the supervision of the PI and the senior biological scientist.
$15.00 per hourMinimum Requirements:
Associate’s degree in an appropriate area; or a high school diploma or equivalent and two years of related experience. Appropriate college course work or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in the processing and handling of in vitro electrophysiological data
- Experience in microinjections
- Working knowledge of the pClamp software platform for the analysis of electrophysiological data
- Training and knowledge in Excel
In order to be considered, please upload a cover letter, resume and references with application.
The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
This is a time-limited position.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: 09 May 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 16 May 2021 Eastern Daylight Time