New River Community College
Position Number: 275F0010
Work Location: Pulaski
- Teach engineering courses, including calculus-based engineering fundamental courses.
- Provide oversight of the AA&S Engineering Degree, including assisting in securing qualified adjunct faculty and coordinating program offerings with four-year partners.
- Write and revise course plans.
- Develop courses, including online courses.
- Assist in the selection and creation of instructional materials.
- Recommend curricular changes to upgrade and integrate students’ learning.
- Develop and implement student retention and success initiatives.
- Assume advising responsibilities.
- Assist the division with administrative and/or committee work.
- Participate in division and college discussions, meetings, and initiatives.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
May be required to perform other duties as assigned. May be required to assist the agency or state government generally in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor.
- Master’s degree with eighteen graduate semester hours in engineering.
- Commitment to community college mission.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including effective communication in teaching/learning situations.
- Commitment to and ability to implement teaching strategies that foster student retention and student success.
- Commitment to innovative teaching approaches, including use of technology as a teaching and learning tool.
- Commitment to develop and teach online courses.
- Fairness and flexibility in understanding and working with a wide variety of students.
- Demonstrated ability to promote and maintain effective and courteous working relationships with college faculty, administrators, and staff.
- Demonstrated skills and/or knowledge of assessment of student learning.
- Finalists will be required to present a sample teaching lesson.
- Three current letters of recommendation are required.
- Three years (minimum) related industrial work and/or teaching experience
- Previous record of teaching excellence in a community college or higher education environment.
Operation of a State Vehicle No
Supervises Employees No
Required Travel No
Posting Number FAC_218P
Job Open Date 05/05/2021
Job Close Date 06/02/2021
Open Until Filled No
Agency Website https://www.nr.edu/jobs/
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit a completed state application, resume, three current letters of recommendation and unofficial transcripts.
Quick Link to Posting:
The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth’s Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow this link: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.
The VCCS is an EOE and Affirmative Action Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and ADAAA), VCCS will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing and selection processes.
VCCS uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.