PG190941EPInternal Recruitment :
Systems AdministratorAnticipated Hiring Range:
$90,000 - $110,000Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday; 1st shiftJob Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Central Services IntegrationAbout the Department:
The Central Services Integration (CSI) team provides critical systems and integration services such as UNIX/Linux systems support / provisioning, systems monitoring, configuration management, Andres File System (AFS) management, Campus tools support, and campus MySQL infrastructure on UNIX / Linux. The full range of services include architecture design, vendor satellite image management, NC State standard image provisioning, patch management, as well as system installation, administration, maintenance, tuning, and trouble-shooting. The Linux platform(s) provided by CSI form the core IT infrastructure that central IT and many college IT units integrate with.Essential Job Duties:
The System Administrator will be involved in maintaining central IT services to include Red Hat Enterprise Linux, monitoring solutions, configuration management, MySQL database environment, and automation techniques for other IT customers at NCSU. The CSI group has need of a systems programmer for existing systems and help with integration of monitoring, reporting, and regulatory reporting systems. This position will act as 3rd tier support to other IT groups on campus and will be part of an on-call rotation and require occasional weekend and/or evening work.Minimum Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree with at least three years of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training and relevant experience.Other Required Qualifications:
- Extensive knowledge of Linux system administration, deployment automation, and systems programming. Knowledge should include enterprise infrastructure support and integration. Preferred experience in Red Hat Enterprise Linux( RHEL ); experience in Ubuntu/Debian, and OEL Linux also welcome. Applicant must have working knowledge of Git, Subversion, or similar source code management environment. Experience in Foreman, Puppet or Ansible.
- A working knowledge of Nagios, Zabbix, ichinga or similar monitoring system. Applicant will need the ability to learn / augment existing home-grown systems quickly, suggest replacements, and cross train other group members on changes.
- This position is transformational from a traditional systems admin to a systems automation programmer for current unit services and assisting other units to make changes to virtual and cloud resources.
- The qualified applicant will need to have a strong capability to plan and guide other team members through operational work while carrying out all necessary upgrades and periodic maintenance.
- An eligible applicant will need be able to work independently or with other group members to solve emergency issues, communicate ongoing issues, and provide reliable team backup when called upon.
Required License(s) or Certification(s):
- Knowledge in multiple flavors of Linux (RHEL and Ubuntu preferred).
- A demonstrated knowledge of systems programming in Python, Ruby, yaml editing / automation.
- Experience in maintaining a central build / configuration management environment for multiple customers hosting 1000+ systems.
- Experience in MySQL / Postgres / Mongo database administration.
- Some previous experience in working with one major cloud provider( ie Google, AWS, Azure ).
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
05/07/2021Anticipated Close Date:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Fire/Explosions, Mandatory - Medical Emergencies, Mandatory - Hazardous Material Incidents, Mandatory - Transportation Accidents, Mandatory - Evacuations/Natural Hazards, Mandatory - Utilities/Infrastructure Failure, Mandatory - Threats of Violence/Terrorism/Interpersonal EmergenciesIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
517101 - Shared ServicesAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.