Landscape & Maintenance Technician
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-05-07
The Department of Intramural-Recreational Sports, a division of Athletics at the University of Virginia, is seeking qualified applicants for a Landscape & Maintenance Technician, a full-time, University Staff position. Landscape Technicians cut grass, trim, rake leaves, maintain outside areas, plant flowers, and prune trees and shrubs. They ensure that driveways, parking lots, and walkways are free of debris, litter, snow, and ice in assigned areas. Work is routinely monitored and is assigned at the task level.
- Cultivate landscape and outdoor environment through a variety of activities, including weed pulling, mulching, leaf removal, mowing, weed eating, blowing, aerating, overseeding, fertilizing, grading, sodding, pruning, watering, planting trees and shrubs, installing ground cover, and placing stakes and guywire.
- Operate small landscaping equipment such as mowers, blowers, weed eaters, and snow plows.
- Identify needs for equipment repair and initiate maintenance.
- Respond to weather conditions on Grounds by making walking areas accessible for pedestrians with snow and ice removal.
- Perform assignments related to special events and projects.
- Perform all work in accordance with safety rules and procedures, such as OSHA, federal, state, and local regulations.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Some prior relevant work experience.
Licensure: Valid Virginia drivers license.
Preference will be given to candidates with previous experience with maintaining artificial and natural athletic field surfaces. The preferred deadline for applications is May 21, 2021. The successful candidate will pass a background check. PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs,” and search for ‘Landscape & Maintenance Technician.‘ Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, address). PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, search for Requisition R0024160, complete the application and attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, address). Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the box. Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration. For information regarding the position or the application process, please contact Michele Jarman at email@example.com.
This job will require standing, traveling, and lifting above and below the waist various weights which may include different landscape equipment and materials. The use of both hands and a repetitive motion will be required while pruning, driving, weeding, and pushing lawn mowers.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.