Search #: 495239JOB SUMMARY
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
Categories: Fiscal, Accounting and Budget
Under the general direction of the Director of Fiscal and Business Operations, the Healthcare Finance and Budget Manager oversees daily operations and fiscal management of Student Health and Wellness (SHaW) departments, including building, maintaining, planning, and forecasting departmental budgets; oversight, training and supervising staff on patient billing, coding, revenue cycle, and decision support; and developing policies and procedures for purchasing and inventories for equipment, assets, medical, and office supplies.
This position will be the direct supervisor for three employees who provide services related to budget, contracts, financial accounting, coding and claims management. Additionally, the ideal candidate will be skilled in developing high level internal and external financial analyses and benchmarking for decision-making, including statistical and financial data management and analysis, meaningful presentations/reports to provide feedback and guidelines to maximize SHaW’s growth and financial opportunities. Given the nature of this work, the ideal candidate should be comfortable with ambiguity and possess the ability to thrive in a fluid, dynamic environment.
SHaW is committed to diversity and inclusion, competence in working with culturally and ethnically diverse populations, and awareness of how issues of difference, power, and privilege manifest in higher education environments. The ideal candidate promotes health equity and reduces health disparities by demonstrating and supporting an understanding, sensitivity, and appreciation for health equity, social justice, cultural humility, and inclusiveness. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervises day-to-day clinical financial operations for medical and mental health services. Resolves complex payer or physician issues, when necessary. Acts as a primary point of escalation contact for clinical operations for day-to-day operational issues relating to billing, collections, and denials.
- Manages the work of assigned personnel employees who provide services related to budget, contracts, financial accounting, coding and claims management, including assigning and reviewing work, providing guidance, and conducting performance evaluations.
- Closely monitors denial trends and researches root cause issues while developing solutions to improve overall denial metrics. Collaborates with internal customers to mitigate denial creation. Minimizes contractual and bad debt write offs. Works collaboratively with outside collection agencies to ensure maximum collection efforts.
- Works collaboratively with clinical departments to establish effective policies, procedures, and communications to advance compliance with regulations and the efficiency of the revenue cycle processes.
- Collaborates one-on-one with SHaW directors to develop annual budgets for each SHaW department. Prepares the departmental budget; manages approved budget and makes decisions related to the appropriateness of requested expenditures; oversees purchase and payment requisitions and reconciliations.
- Works independently to analyze available information and financial data, draws conclusions and understandings, provides forecasting support and presents such conclusions effectively to the Director of Fiscal and Business Operations. Prepares financial and projection reports based on current and historical data, as well as forecasting analyses.
- Identifies opportunities to maximize reimbursement.
- Assists students and staff on a wide range of administrative and fiscal matters.
- Oversees compliance and contracts for SHaW programs and initiatives.
- Implements and monitors bookkeeping and fiscal procedures for the department.
- Prepares financial reports as appropriate to meet federal, state, university, and departmental regulations and requirements.
- Monitors, assesses, and measures the financial impact on SHaW of prospective regulatory changes to federal and state healthcare reimbursements and insurance regulations.
- Develops guidelines for prioritizing work activities and optimization of work queues to achieve compliance and efficiency in clinical billing and revenue cycle processes.
- Reviews departmental administrative policies and procedures for efficiency and effectiveness; develops and implements additional policies, procedures, and improvements.
- Devises, modifies, and/or supervises the maintenance and coordination of complex filing systems, records, and mailings.
- Serves as a liaison between SHaW and other University offices and represents SHaW to other University and external offices and agencies.
- Performs related work as required.
- Bachelor’s degree and six years of healthcare finance-related experience.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively analyze data, prepare reports, and make recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate information.
- Experience with staff supervision.
- Advanced level proficiency in Microsoft Excel and experience with medical/insurance software.
- Demonstrated understanding of and stated commitment to diversity, inclusion and equity.
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills necessary for effective work relationships.
- Master’s degree in finance, accounting, healthcare management, business administration or other related field.
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, nationally recognized standards and guidelines related to healthcare finance.
- Experience implementing new processes/systems in a business setting.
- Previous work experience in higher education.
This is a full-time, 12-month position with an anticipated start date of July 2021. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. TO APPLY
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs
, Staff Positions, Search #495239 to upload a resume, cover letter,
and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Student Health and Wellness (SHaW) is expanding services and is currently hiring for a variety of positions related to students’ mental health and wellness. SHaW encourages qualified applicants to apply for multiple positions of interest.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Jun 08 2021 Eastern Daylight Time