UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO ANSCHUTZ MEDICAL CAMPUS
Department of Pathology
Position Number: 00783281
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.Nature of WorkMicroscopic examination of cells for the detection of cancer and/or other abnormalities. Report results to the pathologist. Assist in collection and processing of FNA aspirations for immediate evaluationProfessional FieldThis is a clinical position in the cytopathology division that requires a Master’s degree in a related field, specialized cytotechnologist training, and certification through The American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP). Supervision ReceivedDirect supervision given by the Director of Cytopathology (Faculty, MD) and the Cytology SupervisorSupervision ExercisedNoneExamples of Work Performed
- Ensure the accurate and timely preparation, screening and reporting of cytology specimens.
- As a faculty member, expectations to share your expertise in public health, working with other faculty to create resident and fellow elective curriculum. Will join other faculty overseeing the resident and fellow in cytopathology.
- Provides periodic review and training on new techniques and assesses efficiencies of staff productivities.
- Maintains Quality of Laboratory Work, complying with University, State and Federal regulatory agency standards. Identifies areas of risk given regulatory requirements and works toward compliance.
- Insures that all staff receives required training and certifications as required.
- Formulates and maintains the laboratory quality management procedures. Implements and instructs all staff in quality improvement initiatives and procedures. Reviews results on a regular basis and provides analysis of productivity.
- Prepares for accreditation and licensing agency inspections. Designates and establishes primary and backup staff for each area of laboratory for inspection day contacts, tasks and information retrieval.
- Responsible for teaching pathology residents on subjects of gynecologic cytology, lab operations, management, and regulatory compliance
- Participates in the Fellowship Competency Committee activities
- Maintains membership in Cytotechnology professional organizations
- Works with laboratory personnel to develop, revise and implement new preparatory and staining techniques.
- Updates policies and procedures under the direction of the Medical Director. Benchmarks the work performance of laboratory personnel.
- Troubleshoots problem areas and works to maintain high quality in all facets of the laboratory production.
- Works with pathologists to assure quality and usefulness of preparations for use by other technicians and professionals in the laboratory. Provides training and oversight of such techniques, as required, to medical and laboratory staff.
- Microscopically examines gynecological and non-gynecological specimens.
- Assists at FNA procedures on a rotational basis.
- Maintains the quality of the laboratory staining set-ups on a rotational basis.
- Participates in, and initiates, proficiency testing and continuing education programs for the department.
- Maintains communication with Medical Directors.
- Participates in the creation and implementation of community educational programs.
- Evaluates and provides recommendations when hiring new cytology personnel.
- Educates clinic personnel regarding cytology specimen collection techniques and specimen preservation.
Minimum Qualifications:Master’s degree in a related field and at least three years of experience in the evaluation of gynecologic and non-gynecologic cytology specimens. Preferred Qualifications:Must maintain ASCP certification in cytology by completing the appropriate continuing education requirement, and pass annual proficiency.Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: May 6, 2021
Unposting Date: May 11, 2021, 10:59:00 PM