Systems Librarian - Georgetown University Library
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.RequirementsJob Overview
Georgetown University Library seeks an experienced and collaborative colleague to manage the Library's Ex Libris Alma/Primo VE library services platform. Reporting to the Head of Library Information Technology, the Systems Librarian supports the integration of Alma/Primo VE with other platforms used within the Library, and serves as a leader in designing, implementing, and maintaining additional tools and platforms for user discovery and management of Library resources. This position collaborates with key staff members throughout the Library, the University, and the Washington Research Library Consortium. Working both independently and as part of a team, the Systems Librarian develops, implements, and assesses Library tools and services by focusing on usability, accessibility, sustainability, and performance. The Systems Librarian provides expertise and works with staff across the Library to develop programs that automate tasks related to access and discovery.ResponsibilitiesIntegrated Library System
Library Discovery Services
- Serves as the administrator and main technical lead for the Library's Ex Libris Alma/Primo VE Integrated Library System (ILS).
- Tests new functionality and system upgrades, and evaluates current utilization of system modules and workflows to recommend modifications to workflows and system configurations as needed to increase efficiency.
- Troubleshoots problems with the ILS and acts as a liaison between the vendor and Library staff members to report problems and ensure their resolution.
- Coordinates with Library, University, and WRLC departments to manage incoming data feeds including but not limited to: acquisitions and other data; complex bibliographic, holdings and item data; patron data.
- Acts as the Library's representative to various local and national user groups.
- Consults with end users with regard to system capabilities and functionality, forwarding requests for system modifications and/or enhancements to the vendor as appropriate.
- Leads the development of policies and procedures as needed to ensure the efficient operation and management of Library systems.
- Gathers and reports statistics and data from Library systems to inform decision-making related to Library services.
Library Systems and Platforms
- Leads the design, implementation, and maintenance of new tools and services for user discovery and management of Library resources.
- Leads the development of strategies to improve the discovery of Library collections and services by designing, developing, and implementing solutions that integrate existing tools with new technologies and approaches to create a seamless discovery experience for users.
- Develops and implements strategies and solutions to improve user experience and maximize the discovery of Library resources by conducting usability testing and user-centered design research.
- Provides training and creates documentation for internal and external users related to the Integrated Library System and other Library discovery systems.
- Supports both hosted and locally-managed systems in support of Library collections, workflows, and services.
- Develops and documents internal processes and procedures that support Library systems and services.
- Assists in the development of new Library systems and services through an iterative and data-driven process that emphasizes sustainability and end-user functionality.
- Develops scripts or programs that enable automation of routine Library workflows and tasks and develops enhancements to new and existing Library applications.
Master's in Library or Information Science or equivalentPractical Experience
- Three to five (3-5) years of experience, preferably in an academic library.
- Demonstrated experience managing an integrated library system, a content management system, or other discovery system (experience with Ex Libris Alma/Primo is preferred).
- Experience managing technical projects or initiatives.
- Experience developing and/or supporting systems and strategies for automated library workflows.
- Familiarity with user-centered design to support usability testing of Library systems and services.
- Firm understanding of current metadata and cataloging standards and processes.
- Familiarity with library technology standards and protocols such as FRBR, Z39.50, OAI/PHM, RDA.
- Familiarity with XML and XSLT.
- Familiarity with EZproxy as well as remote access and authentication workflows.
- Experience with scripting or programming to automate tasks.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical issues and solutions to a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Commitment to fostering an equitable and inclusive workplace, and the ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, students, and staff.
The Georgetown University Library is an agile organization located in the nation's capital, committed to advancing Georgetown University's global leadership in academics and research, while also addressing the requirements of the changing landscape of higher education and the evolving nature of scholarly communication. By providing preeminent services, collections and spaces, the Library contributes to the creation, dissemination and preservation of knowledge, as well as the transformation of learning and research.
The Library is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse staff dedicated to excellence in service, continuous learning, and leadership within the library profession. With diversity as one of its core values, the Library not only seeks to actively recruit and retain a diverse workforce, but also ensures the acquisition of a diverse collection of materials and a climate of openness and respect for all traditions, cultures, and ideas.
The Library actively promotes its values - lifelong learning, collaboration, leadership, quality, integrity, and diversity -in its daily tasks. Whenever possible, the Library offers flexible work schedules and telework options, and supports continuous learning opportunities in order to achieve the highest quality of service that can be offered.
The University offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes health insurance, tuition benefits for employees and their children, retirement benefits, as well as flexible work schedules and telework options.
Please note that COVID-19 has reshaped the way interviews and work locations will be managed at this time. The safety and well-being of our colleagues and applicants is our first priority. The Georgetown University Library anticipates conducting all interviews virtually. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and the University's need to limit the number of on-campus employees, the successful applicant may be asked to perform their job remotely for a limited period of time until the University can permit more employees to work on campus.Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu
) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.Submission Guidelines:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.Need Assistance:
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here
for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or [email protected]
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu
or view the online interactive benefits guide
for more information.
To apply, visit https://georgetown.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Georgetown_Admin_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Systems-Librarian---Georgetown-University-Library_JR09978-1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency