Gift Administration Manager
Gift Administration Manager
Location: Scotts Valley
Job ID: 17837
Initial Review Date (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The Initial Review Date (IRD) for this job is: 05/24/2021
Dept Marketing Statement
University Relations supports the teaching, research, and public service of UC Santa Cruz by making and keeping deep, heartfelt connections. Building enduring relationships among students, alumni, faculty, donors, and others is the lifeblood of our work and helps to make UC Santa Cruz a thriving community of knowledge, inquiry, public service, and social mobility.
We are a welcoming group of ambitious and creative professionals pursuing our mission in support of the university's overarching purpose. We take our work seriously because we care - but we don't take ourselves too seriously! The University Relations culture is lively and dynamic; we value collaboration; and our staff is resourceful, enthusiastic, and hard-working.
The division is a fun, friendly, and open place, and our colleagues are supportive of and positive about each other's goals and aspirations. We often jump in to help where needed, rolling up our sleeves to get the job done. We dare to approach challenges as opportunities. We seek creative ways to overcome obstacles, at times with limited resources, while keeping our eye on the objective: helping students achieve their goals, providing crucial public service, and advancing life-changing research and discovery.
We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. We are looking for candidates who do great work, and we hope they come from a number of different backgrounds and experiences. We aspire to build an increasingly diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every qualification for the position but possess transferable skills and experiences.
Under the direction of the University Relations Director of Data Management, the Gift Administration Manager manages the operations of the Gift Administration Unit. The Gift Administration Unit is the official office for acceptance, recording, and receipting of gifts donated to UCSC. The Gift Administration office also manages pledge and membership administration on behalf of UCSC, its affiliated Friends Groups, and the UCSC Alumni Association.
The Gift Administration Office within University Relations fulfills critical roles in support of campus fund raising efforts:
- Maintaining and ensuring the data integrity of all UCSC campus donor records in the campus Ellucian Banner Advancement System (ADFS).
- Enabling the campus to meet official private gift record keeping and reporting obligations as required by the Office of the President and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
- Assuring UCSC compliance to IRS regulations, statutes and rulings; Office of the President and campus guidelines and policy; CASE best practices; and federal, state, and other regulatory agencies' requirements, laws, and promulgations for gift acceptance and administration.
- Approving the designation of donations to specific funds in accordance with donor wishes, fund terms and conditions, and gift policy.
- Analyzing and interpreting policy governing gift solicitation, processing and administration at all levels to resolve policy and procedural issues.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary Information: $73,700/annually. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: This position is eligible for Full benefits
Percentage of Time: 100%
Average Hours Per Week: 40
Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: Scotts Valley
Union Representation: None
Job Code Classification: 007177 (DATABASE ADM 3)
35% - Gift Administration Management
- Manage and oversee all functions of the UCSC Gift Administration Office, administration for approximately 20,000 gift, pledge, credit card, and membership transactions annually, assuring compliance with UC policy and IRS regulations for gift acceptance and administration. This includes oversight, management, tracking and reporting of all gifts, pledges, private support contracts and grants, and affiliate group memberships accepted on behalf of the UC Regents, UC Santa Cruz Foundation, the UCSC Alumni Association, and the UCSC Friends/Support Groups.
- Serves as a primary resource concerning gift and membership policy and related procedures
- Assures all Gifts Administration onsite and offsite gift records are safeguarded and comply with IRS, division, and campus retention procedures, and is responsible for the development and oversight of the associated document filing processes.
- Collaborates with UR leadership and UR-Information Services managers and analysts regarding new report requirements, new transaction coding procedures and revisions of existing Banner ADFS transaction coding for events, campaigns, and special programs; responsible for overseeing the Gifts Administration participation in and completion of Banner ADFS software upgrade testing and acceptance of new/upgraded software and reports that support the Gift Administration unit.
- Reviews all calls for gifts (solicitations) to ensure guidance provided is in accordance with UC and UR policies and procedures.
- Acts as liaison with donors, UR development staff, business, and accounting personnel at UCSC and other UC campuses to answer gift-related questions and/or to resolve gift-related problems.
- Works proactively with campus Accounting Office, Foundation Accounting Office, Planning and Budget department, and UC Office of the President to determine appropriate procedures for gift acceptance and to address and resolve issues that require special attention.
- Coordinates bank wire transfers and transfers of securities gifts with the UC Regents Treasurers Office and donors' brokerage agents, including specification of procedures and follow-up verification of gift transfers.
- Oversees and coordinates transfer of gift funds from UC and other campuses including inter-location transfer of gift funds via the UC Regents.
- Resolves issues with misdirected and improperly deposited funds with the Foundation Accountant, Extramural Funds, the Cashiers Office, the UC Treasurer, and associated campus departments.
- Recommends the establishment of gift instrument structures and determines appropriate processing method and special handling requirements regarding current campus use and endowment funds, faculty research gifts, private grants, bargain sales, quid-pro-quo gifts, patents, securities, bequests and non monetary gifts through research and interpretation of complex policies which are outlined in a variety of sources, and through contact with supervisor, development officers, campus and system-wide personnel.
- Implements procedures to assure accuracy and confidentiality of data. Assure compliance with gift policy, database requirements, coding protocols and account assignment, in order for each gift to be credited in a manner that enables the fulfillment of the donor's intent; by researching complex policy, varied guidelines, and through direct communication with campus personnel and donors.
- Actively coordinates with other Development services units, including the UC Santa Cruz Foundation, Strategic Philanthropy, Constituent Engagement, Planned Giving, Donor Stewardship, Prospect Research and Information Systems to determine appropriate inter-office procedures, to resolve problems and to address issues requiring process changes.
- Provides operational unit support as needed. Provides back up to Gift Processing staff and other unit staff in absences or during peak gift processing periods.
- Supervises and reviews the quality of gift processing, receipting, reporting and reconciliation compliance with internal and external requirements (including UCOP, UR, Internal Revenue Service, National Association of Colleges and University Business Officers, UPMIFA, UCSC Accounting and Cashier offices, and Office of Sponsored Projects), as well as internal database requirements for storing required information.
35% - Gift Processing
- Gift documentation review - Review documentation accompanying incoming gifts and pledges to confirm accuracy of existing data in systems. Identify documentation problems and contact appropriate donors, campus departments, or staff to resolve issues. Identifies and processes gifts requiring special handling including memorial gifts, non-monetary gifts, gifts made on behalf of others, donor advised funds, and other complex gifts. Determines correct ID numbers. Coordinates establishment of new designations and new funds with Extramural and Foundation Accounting units.
- Verifies gift and pledge data entered on a daily basis for accuracy and completeness using source documents. Identifies duplicate donor records and takes steps to resolve the duplicates. Notes incomplete or inaccurate data on existing records in database and makes corrections. Generates standard online reports on a regular basis to confirm data integrity and make necessary corrections.
- Gift Data Integrity, Gift/Pledge and Biographical Data Coding and Entry - Performs detailed coding of gift/pledge transactions by determining correct codes used to identify donor, gift type and gift designation. Creates and edits donor records as needed and enters all pertinent biographical information. Records gift data in database. Completes daily posting of gift transaction batches. Creates new pledges at donor's request and determines corresponding payment schedule. Performs adjustments to designations, amounts or installment plans by entering correct information and adjusting the database.
10% - Fund Stewardship & Accounting
- Designs, implements and maintains procedures which assure correct disposition of funds from initial receipt to transfer to UCSC accounting ledgers, UCSC Foundation accounts.
- Assures adherence to internal control principles and systems, which include cash handling, safekeeping of assets, audit trail, records retention, donor confidentiality, and review and reconciliation of cash receipts to final disposition of funds.
- Oversees transfer of campus funds from campus to UCOP when new Regental Endowments have been created.
- Works with and advises campus units and Extramural Funds Accounting Office to determine when new gift accounts are required.
- Assists Foundation Accountant with reconciliation of Foundation transactions in preparation for the monthly transfer of gift funds to campus.
10% - Reporting
- Responsible for a variety of gift reporting functions including: the review and/or submission of routine quarterly and annual reports to UCOP, annual reports to the Council for Aid to Education (CAE), and Development department reports for Major Gifts and Year-to-Date Giving Comparisons.
- Reporting as needed for the annual Foundation audit.
- Responsible for compiling and disseminating weekly gift transaction and donor reports to all UR staff.
10% - Policy and Procedure Development and End-user Training
- In coordination with the Director of Stewardship & Donor Services and the Director of Finance, advise and support the development and documentation of policies and procedures to assure gifts are properly accepted and recorded.
- Through business process review and design, develops and documents new policy and procedures when necessary to enhance services and improve efficiency.
- Establishes and maintains presence for Gift Administration Office on campus and/or UR Toolkit, documents and maintains in writing gift administration policies and procedure to post to UR Toolkit and UCSC website. Reviews and maintains appropriate information and updates as necessary.
- Participates in team settings to resolve business-critical database problems and to address issues of data integrity, security, and database enhancement related to gift administration. Provides analysis (in written report form as needed) to manage and resolve problems regarding all aspects of gift acceptance and recording.
- Ensures that the gift policy and procedure information is readily accessible in a variety of formats including web-based tools and training and that a regular feedback cycle is incorporated into the process.
- Oversees the gift training for gift acceptance and processing requirements for unit staff, development officers and others throughout the division and campus.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Working knowledge of database management systems and standards.
- Knowledge of university gift processing and administration environments and associated state, federal, and IRS regulations including financial standards for gifts including endowment.
- Demonstrated experience and skill with supervisory, management, and leadership to effectively recruit, select, supervise, train/motivate and evaluate staff performance.
- Excellent presentation and group facilitation skills, and experience creating user and support training materials for gift administration systems and procedures.
- Demonstrated experience managing gift administration and associated business processes, including business process review and redesign and establishment of regular feedback cycles.
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to effectively manage time, establish priorities for accomplishing goals, and work concurrently on multiple tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn the functional and technical aspects of portions of a large, moderately complex administrative system.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to provide gift-processing support to development professionals, faculty, and others who manage donors and receive donations.
- Ability to work in a collaborative and cooperative manner, and to be an effective and productive member of a team and to maintain and develop relationships across the organization.
- Experience using standard personal computing tools including spreadsheets, databases, word processing, and standard project planning tools.
- Degree in Business Management, or related field, or related professional experience.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency