Job Title: Dental Assistant
Location: Augusta University
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 226896
Associate's degree from an accredited college or university or higher in an applicable related field of study.Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of oral bony structure of the face and take diagnostic dental radiographs.
- Detailed knowledge of tooth anatomy.
- Able to select and place rubber dam clamps.
- Knowledge of dental instruments. Determine serviceability and need for replacement.
- Knowledge of basic dental lab assisting procedures and practices.
- Knowledge and skill to detect adverse reactions to dental treatment.
- Knowledge of 4 handed dentistry.
- Ability to transition between multiple dentist and assist with different types of procedures among different dental disciplines.
- Required immediate and extreme flexibility and adaptability to ever changing procedures, methods and personalities.
- Ability to work in high volume, fast paced environment and maintain composure and treatment under pressure.
- Assist dental students, residents and/or faculty in the treatment of patients requiring emergency restorative, prosthodontics, periodontics, endodontics and/or oral surgery.
- Participate in 4 handed dentistry. Assist chair side with air, water and instruments. Mixing various materials as required.
- Assist in the management of difficult problems such as the apprehensive patient and/or the pre-medicated adult.
- Assist in the placement of rubber dam.
- Prepare local anesthetic syringe. Dispose of all sharps in designated sharps container after patient dismissed.
- Use mouth mirror for indirect vision retraction. Gently extract patient's cheek, adjusting mirror position to avoid pressure on oral structures.
- Perform high volume evacuation. Handle carefully not to move during instrument or hand piece use.
- Follow all published guidelines regarding personal protective gear and clinical infection control protocol, i.e. Aware of the MSDS sheets, handle and dispose of hazardous materials.
- Operates dental x-ray equipment to include taking routine and specialized radiographs as requested.
- Explain purpose of procedure to patient.
- Explain and place protective lead apron
- Obtains and stores dental and special supplies. Assigned operatories are kept clean and stocked.
- Maintains dental equipment in a clean operative condition on a daily basis.
- Cleaning, packaging, and maintaining instruments and equipment required including sending to and retrieving from central sterilization as needed for daily production.
- Using organizational software and assisting in appointing patients for follow-up care.
- Follow the organization's incident reporting protocol.
- Ensure ordering and inventory control of supplies, equipment, and dental instruments required for assigned clinics.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.