South University, the right direction for a brighter future.
Tuition Assistant Program
Long/Short Term Disability
Employee Assistance Program
Generous Paid Time Off
12 Paid Holidays
* includes domestic partner coveragePOSITION SUMMARY: This position is responsible for performing cleaning functions in and around the campus building(s) throughout the day and fulfill special requests as needed. Incumbent must assure the standards set for building cleanliness, minor maintenance and safety procedures are all met and maintained regularly. South University philosophy is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position: quality services to clients (students, faculty, staff, & visitors); development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and maintenance of an environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking and expansion. KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
- In some cases, opens campus building(s) by unlocking all entry doors and classrooms, checks all spaces including restrooms, hallways and entrances for any maintenance problems and clean any area as needed.
- Keeps assigned work area clean following procedures for regular dusting and disinfecting of surfaces, mopping, vacuuming and sweeping of all floors. Regularly cleans and restocks restrooms, collecting and disposing of trash and debris from building(s) and grounds.
- Uses appropriate equipment to clean carpets and strip, scrub, buff and wax floors following proper usage and safety protocols.
- Moves furniture, equipment, & materials and performs all cleaning activities necessary to keep campus building(s) clean and safe.
- May perform minor repairs and maintenance, check fire extinguishers, test emergency lighting and order cleaning supplies.
- Reports necessary repairs and safety concerns to facility management.
- Pull trash from offices and cleans as requested.
- Maintain orderly janitorial closets - stock when necessary.
- Respond to special requests for assistance from other departments; provide event setup, and follow directives assigned by facility management.
- In some cases, assist in securing campus building(s) by verifying all persons have exited, lock all doors, turn off lights and activate security alarm.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school degree required.
- 0-2 years of solid experience in the housekeeping industry preferably in a post-secondary institution.
- Understands working methods and procedures used in cleaning and minor maintenance of buildings
- Understands qualities and uses of custodial equipment and supplies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Superior organization, prioritization, self-motivation, and problem resolution skills.
- Ability to listen to customers (students, faculty, staff and visitors) and to understand and respond positively to their requests
- Ability to work without close supervision and to set one’s own priorities.
- Ability to frequently lift up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to stand and walk for lengthy periods of time.
- Frequently lift up to 25 pounds, occasional heavy lifting of up to 50 pounds
- Occasionally climbs up to 15 feet with a ladder
- Exposure to heavy dust, dirt, chemical or paint fumes, or other airborne matter
- Exposure to extreme heat, electric current, hazardous chemicals or other potential hazards
- Sitting or standing for extended periods with no control over rest periods
- Pushes/pulls brooms, vacuums, buffers, scrubbers, cleaning carts
- Must bend, stoop and crawl and occasionally operate hedge trimmers, pressure washers and leaf blowers
South University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectiveOther detailsJob FamilyAll PositionsPay TypeHourlyRequired EducationHigh School Apply Now
- South University Corporate Savannah, GA, 709 Mall Boulevard, Savannah, Georgia, United States of America