Administrative and Graduate Coordinator, Department of History
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-05-04
The Department of History at the University of Virginia is seeking an Administrative and Graduate Coordinator to provide administrative and graduate program support. The successful candidate will join a collaborative team of diverse stakeholders and is expected to provide administrative support to the department including, but not limited to: graduate program coordination, course scheduling, website updates and provide support to the Director of Graduate Studies (DGS) as well as the department chair and associate chair.
- Monitor and correct graduate enrollment each semester.
- Coordinate students for graduation from all degree programs.
- Track department-awarded grants and coordinate disbursement of funds as appropriate.
- Advise students on Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) policies, fellowships, external funding, and student employment.
- Work with faculty to build department course schedules.
- Track faculty leave or course release.
- Prepare reports by request.
- Provide necessary updates to the departmental website.
- Event planning logistics and advertising (lecture series, film series, conferences, etc.).
- Coordinate communication between the DGS, GSAS, and graduate Students.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned by the DGS, department chair and associate chair.
- A high school diploma and at least one year of experience in an administrative position is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of general office practices and procedures.
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills as well as the ability to adapt to a fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
- Attention to detail, and high level of accuracy while executing tasks.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite applications (Publisher, Outlook, Word, and Excel).
- The ability to work independently with little oversight to prepare and compose correspondence, create and maintain electronic files and records.
- Collaborative and able to provide support when needed to other team members as well as adept at developing professional relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders and organizations..
- Exhibit a professional and positive demeanor at all times but in particular in high pressure situations while representing the department.
- Experience working with students in an advising and/or academic support capacity in a higher education setting.
- Experience in working with UVA Systems such as SIS, Oracle, UBI, Box, Collab, and Workday.
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to making a final offer of employment.
Apply online at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs: search for posting #R0023887 (or through Workday for internal applicants), complete the application, and attach the following:
***Please note ALL REQUESTED documents MUST be uploaded in the cv/resume box and you can combine documents into one PDF.***
(1) Cover letter (1 page)- addressing your interest in this role, how your experience aligns and has prepared you for this position, ability to take initiative as well as work with diverse stakeholders.
(3) contact information for three professional references.
***Applications that do not contain all the required documents will not receive full consideration.***
Questions about this position should be directed to W. Scott Roberts, Department Finance and Administration Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions regarding the application process should be directed to: Nicole Robinson, Faculty Search Advisor at email@example.com.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.