Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-05-04
The Division of Infectious Diseases and International Health at the University of Virginia seeks a Lab Technician to manage the day-to-day operations of the lab under Dr. Mami Taniuchi's supervision. The successful applicant should have prior experience working in the lab preferably with Bio-Hazard Level 2 certification and be comfortable with human and environmental specimen collection and handling, setting up and performing molecular diagnostic assays such as PCR and sequencing experiments. The candidate should be fluent in verbal and written communication and be culturally competent to work with individuals of varying backgrounds and in international collaboration sites in Bangladesh and Tanzania.
- Participate in research or clinical work involving conducting experiments, collecting and verifying data, performing PCRs and sequencing, work with large data transfers, and QCing PCR and sequencing reagents for shipping to our international collaborators.
- Prepare support materials, compare and assist with analyses of data and write reports. Assist with literature reviews.
- Operate, adjust, and maintain specific scientific apparatuses and instruments. Order lab supplies and maintain inventory for our lab as well international collaborative labs, including coordinating international shipments.
- Record accurate information and logs of experimental data.
- Keep informed of new lab techniques.
- Provide routine, technical, and administrative support to research projects.
- May provide logistical support to the study.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in basic science or engineering or related field
- One-year experience working in a lab
- Experience working with academic and clinical research investigators
- Proficiency in computer/automated systems for data purposes
OTHER REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to travel internationally to work at collaborative sites
- Be self-motivated and have the ability to motivate others
- Be culturally competent and able to work effectively with diverse populations
- Possess exceptional customer service, interpersonal, and active listening skills Have excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Able to function within a team also work effectively independently
- Embrace and display the department’s core values of compassion, respect, service excellence and integrity
For questions about the application process please contact Greg Haskins, Senior Recruiter at email@example.com
To apply please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, and search for "R0023975" Complete the application and see below for documents to attach. Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the CV/Resume box.
Required Application Materials:
- Cover Letter
- Contact information for 3 references
The selected candidate will be required to complete a background check at time of offer per University Policy.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.