Intermediate Administrative Assistant, Economics Department
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2021-05-05
The Department of Economics at the University of Virginia seeks an Intermediate Administrative Assistant to perform clerical and administrative work to support faculty and students within the department. The incumbent will work under the general direction of a supervisor but must have proven experience working independently and being self-motivated, problem solving and making sound decisions based on operating procedures, policies, and guidance from senior leadership.
- Provide scheduling and administrative support to supervisor.
- Manage calendars, arrange travel/speaking engagements, and arrange phone conferences.
- Provide editorial support for communications and speech writing.
- Work with undergraduate students on scheduling and registration.
- Manage student awarding and the Undergraduate Teaching Fellows (UTF) program.
- Schedule, plan, and organize special events related to the UTF program.
- Compose and distribute correspondence to students, faculty, and others.
- Maintain multiple databases and record-keeping systems.
- Review and approve hours worked and payments for UTFs.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
- A high school diploma and at least one year of experience in an administrative position is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of general office practices and procedures.
- Experience managing calendars, arranging travel/speaking engagements, and virtual meetings.
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills as well as the ability to manage multiple competing tasks.
- Adapt to new tasks and a fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
- Attention to detail, reliable follow-through and high level of accuracy while executing tasks.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite applications (Publisher, Outlook, Word, and Excel).
- The ability to work independently with little oversight to prepare and compose correspondence, create and maintain electronic files and records.
- Collaborative and able to provide support when needed to other team members as well as adept at developing professional relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders and organizations..
- Exhibit a professional and positive demeanor at all times but in particular in high pressure situations while representing the department.
- Experience in higher education working with student information systems and student records.
- Experience working with students in an advising or admission capacity.
- Experience interpreting and applying policy and procedures.
This is a part-time 20 -29 hours per week benefited position. Anticipated Hiring Range: $16.00 - $18.00 per hour, commensurate with education and experience.
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to making a final offer of employment.
Apply online at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs: search for posting #R0024098 (or through Workday for internal applicants), complete the application, and attach the following:
***Please note ALL REQUESTED documents MUST be uploaded in the cv/resume box and you can combine documents into one PDF.***
(1) Cover letter (2 pages)- addressing your interest in this role, how your experience aligns and has prepared you for this position, ability to take initiative as well as work with diverse stakeholders.
(3) contact information for three professional references.
***Applications that do not contain all the required documents will not receive full consideration.***
Questions regarding the application process should be directed to: Nicole Robinson, Faculty Search Advisor at email@example.com.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.