Supplemental Instructor - Intervention Programs
At Amarillo College, our students are the priority. It is our mission and our responsibility to enrich their lives by helping them identify an educational pathway that will lead to success in life. It is therefore required that every team member, regardless of job title or duties, be responsible, first, for assisting students in every way.
Applications are accepted on a continual basis and kept on file for Supplemental Instructors in our Intervention Programs. Reporting to the Coordinator of Intervention Programs, instructors will adhere to the aforementioned mission statement and will perform duties primarily related to the instruction of courses in assigned subject matter areas. Intervention Programs is a part of the Criminal Justice department, located on the West Campus of Amarillo College, and primarily serves individuals who have legal issues and have been ordered to complete a course as a requirement by a court or legal official. However, in appropriate situations, all courses can be beneficial to the general public and are available to them.
Our instructor positions include but are not necessarily limited to: Alcohol Education Program for Minors, Anger Management, Defensive Driving, DWI courses, tobacco cessation, and shoplifting/theft courses
GENERAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Required: Bachelor’s Degree in an appropriate field.
- Master’s Degree.
- Licensed as a Chemical Dependency Counselor, Professional Counselor, Psychologist, Psychiatrist, or Social Worker.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- For some courses, special experiences, licenses, or training may substitute for education requirements.
- For state certified courses, additional training and certification is usually required and must be completed as directed by the Coordinator of Intervention Programs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work under stress.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Ability to deal with people in a professional manner.
- Able to stand for long periods, to walk long distances, and to lift 50 lbs.
- Daytime, evening, early morning, and weekend work required.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide supplemental classroom instruction for applicable programs.
- Perform effective teaching activities, including classroom instruction, directing projects, and assisting with student coursework, research and internships.
- Plan, develop and present organized classroom instructions and learning opportunities for students in accordance with approved course outlines.
- Teach day and/or evening courses as required.
- Demonstrate and maintain competence in the use of instructional technology.
- Demonstrate competence in his/her teaching field and related technologies.
- Attend briefings on procedures, advising, registration, and general policy.
- Complete appropriate administrative paperwork and performance evaluations in a timely manner.
- Educate themselves regarding College policies.
- Ensure effective two-way communication at all levels of responsibility.
- Participate in department, division and college meetings as assigned or required.
- Assume responsibility for the orderliness of the learning environment and in the appropriate and safe use of instructional facilities and equipment.
- Participate in and complete performance assessments/evaluations as assigned.
- Perform additional related duties as required.
- As an Amarillo College employee, seek knowledge of and pledge to actively engage in a culture of caring striving to serve students, peers and the community by embracing the AC Core Values: Wow, Family, Fun, Innovation, and Yes!
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, or sit for extended periods of time, and be able to move materials weighing up to 50 pounds.
Working Environment: This job may operate in a classroom, online, or tech supported setting. This role routinely uses standard classroom and office equipment such as microphones, audio/video-recorders, computers, overhead projectors, phones, copy machines, filing cabinets and fax machines. Classroom location assignment may vary.
Salary: $22.00 per Hour
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
Amarillo College is committed to hiring and retaining a racially diverse, culturally competent staff at all levels of the organization who not only reflect the demographics of our clients but also continue to deepen their skills and competencies to serve the full range of our customers.
Promotional Opportunity Policy
Under the Amarillo College Promotional Opportunity Policy, only current appointed or part-time non-appointed employees will be considered for a position during the first five (5) working days from notice or posting.