Laboratory Technician I - Sciences (40hrs/11mths)
Laboratory Technician I - Sciences (40hrs/11mths)
Kern Community College District
Position Number: 03297
Posting Date: 05/04/2021
Position Closing Date:
Initial Screening Date: 06/01/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Position Type: Classified
Work Week: 40 hours per week, 11 month position
Minimum Salary: $3,436.26 per month
Maximum Salary: $4,855.34 per month
Kern Community College District provides a rich health and welfare benefits offering to our employees, including Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, and Long-term Disability.
In addition to the above benefits, the District also offers a robust voluntary benefits selection:
- Flex 125
- Additional products and services through American Fidelity
- Supplemental voluntary life insurance
- Tax Shelter Annuities
The District participates in CalPERS retirement system and Social Security benefits for Classified and Management employees. Employees covered under the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), are vested 100% after five years of full time service credit. All coverages begin on the first day of the month following the hire date.
Benefit Website Link:
College/Site: Cerro Coso College
Location: CC-Main Campus, Ridgecrest
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform specialized and technical duties to assist in the operation and maintenance of an instructional laboratory.
- Perform specialized and technical duties to assist in the operation and maintenance of an instructional laboratory; prepare various solutions for laboratory activities; assemble and install new equipment; assure efficient laboratory operations.
- Assist faculty and students in the use of a variety of equipment, materials and supplies in the instructional setting; prepare and issue instructional materials and equipment for classroom demonstrations; maintain computerized records of materials and equipment utilized by students.
- Maintain laboratory environment in a safe, clean and orderly condition; control and maintain hazardous waste materials produced during laboratory experiments; arrange for proper disposal of hazardous waste materials.
- Order, receive and store supplies, materials and equipment; maintain inventories and assure adequate stock levels; drive a vehicle to pick up and purchase supplies as needed.
- Adjust, clean, maintain and perform minor repairs to equipment; report major repair needs or arrange for repairs as needed; collect and deposit breakage payments from students.
- Prepare and maintain various records and reports including hazardous waste reports related to laboratory operations and activities as required.
- Train and provide work direction to students workers and assigned staff; assign and review work; assist in the selection of new employees.
- Assist in the coordination of the use of laboratory facilities; assure the availability of appropriate supplies and equipment.
- Operate a variety of equipment related to the specialized area of assignment.
- Attend and participate in a variety of meetings and special projects as assigned.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Any Combination Equivalent to:
Associate degree with course work in science, chemistry, physics or a related field and some laboratory experience.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver’s license.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Operation, preparation and maintenance of an instructional laboratory.
- Principles of science, physics and chemistry.
- Health and safety regulations.
- Principles and practices of providing work direction and training.
- Record-keeping and report preparation techniques.
- Curriculum, goals and objectives of the department.
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies.
- Proper methods of hazardous waste disposal.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Technical aspects of field of specialty.
- Operation of a variety of equipment related to the specialized area of assignment including a computer.
- Perform specialized and technical duties to assure efficient lab operations.
- Provide information and assistance to faculty and staff.
- Properly assemble and store assigned equipment, materials and supplies.
- Issue and receive equipment and supplies.
- Maintain equipment in proper working order.
- Perform light repairs to equipment.
- Perform a variety of chemical balance tests.
- Maintain records related to work performed.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Train and provide work direction to others.
- Assign and review the work of others.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Operate a variety of equipment related to the specialized area of assignment including a computer.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Salary Grade: 39.5
Special Instructions to Applicants:
First Review of Applications:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; but those received by 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) on June 1, 2021 are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
- Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
- List of six (6) professional references - Listed on application form
It is the applicant’s responsibility to redact (or remove) any personal information from all documents prior to uploading. This includes Social Security Numbers, Date of Birth, and any photos of the applicant.
Foreign Degree: Applicants with foreign degrees from colleges or universities outside of the United States must have their coursework evaluated by a professional association that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, INC. (ACEI). A copy of the evaluation must be submitted with your on-line application.
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
EEO Plan 2018-2021
Note: The District is strongly committed to achieving staff diversity and the principles of equal employment opportunity. The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants and does not discriminate on the basis of national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race or ethnicity, color, medical condition, genetic information, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, or because he/she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law, in any of its policies, procedures or practices.
Discrimination Free Work Environment
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/15087. Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency