DEPUTY CHIEF LEGAL OFFICER
DEPUTY CHIEF LEGAL OFFICER
Posting Number: SRGV5043
Number of Vacancies: 1
Location: McAllen, Texas
Department: Legal Affairs
Scope of Job:
To provide sophisticated, professional legal advice, support, and assistance to The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley administration and its operational and academic enterprises on a full array of higher-education issues.
Description of Duties:
• Provide accurate, knowledgeable, and timely legal advice and counsel based on research and analysis on a broad range of issues affecting an institution of higher education, with emphasis in the areas of employment, faculty and student affairs, constitutional law and civil rights laws (including Title VII, Title IX, the Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended, and other similar federal or state laws), and tort claims.
• Organize, plan, prioritize, and review work product of supervised employee(s); offer guidance to supervised employee(s).
• Establish and maintain positive, effective working relationships within the Office of Legal Affairs, UTRGV, The University of Texas System, the Texas Attorney General’s Office (or other outside counsel), and the local community.
• Ensure that the Chief Legal Officer and, as necessary, the UTRGV administration, The UT System Office of General Counsel and/or the Texas Attorney General’s Office (or other outside counsel) are made aware of and kept informed of developments in projects and activities.
• Effectively prioritize and complete duties within designated time frames.
• Maintain awareness of developments in areas of law affecting UTRGV through review of current legal literature, networking, and attending conferences and seminars.
• Promote and ensure privacy and confidentiality of information and records consistent with institutional, ethical, and legal standards.
• Prepare legal memoranda, contracts, and other documents; draft and prepare correspondence; review, draft and interpret policies; conduct or supervise investigations and prepare/review investigation reports.
• Monitor, manage, and assist in the defense of claims and lawsuits filed against UTRGV or its employees, and manage responses to third-party subpoenas.
• Assist in the triage of internal and external matters potentially requiring investigation.
• Serve either as member or alternate for institutional committees as requested.
• Conduct legal presentations and training to faculty and staff on issues regarding ethics, compliance, and other legal matters.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
Supervises assigned employees as requested.
J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited law school and unconditional admission to the State Bar of Texas.
Seven (7) years of experience in the practice of law, including at least three (3) years of the required experience either representing or advising institutions of higher education.
Significant experience practicing law at an institution of higher education or in advising institution(s) of higher education. Experience working within the UT System or one of its campuses. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a high degree of professionalism, maturity, discretion, and integrity in dealing with individuals at all levels of the institution. Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills; ability to manage multiple demands, respond effectively within tight deadlines; and adapt to changing priorities and needs while maintaining a strong commitment to customer service and teamwork. Equivalent combination of relevant experience outside of higher education may be substituted as appropriate.
Standard office equipment.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Work is generally performed in office environment. UTRGV is a distributed institution, which will require a regular presence at multiple locations throughout the Rio Grande Valley.
Advanced written and oral communication skills. Will require some evening and/or weekend work to process the workload in an excellent and timely manner. Requires some travel.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 08/31/2021
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956) 665-2451 and/or [email protected]
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/28257
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency