Senior Manager of Web and Digital Strategy
Department:: College Relations
Locations:: Des Plaines, IL
Posted:: May 3, 2021
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Full Time Staff
Position ID:: 130614
About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
The Senior Manager of Web and Digital Strategy provides leadership in planning, developing, and maintaining the institution's web environment. Manages planning and development activities to create short and long-range plans for digital enhancements to the public website and content management system. Uses data to drive improvements; collaborates on digital marketing initiatives; provides strategic direction and leadership for project management and customer service processes; and provides software selection and support. Ensures that the website aligns with and complies with all standards, including but not limited to industry standards, accessibility standards, and Oakton brand standards. This position will work closely with teams throughout the college to ensure that the website's content successfully represents the College's brand, user experience, and helps the various users achieve their goals.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Constructs and manages the College's institutional website and leads the web team by applying sound information architecture techniques to support good user experience, best search engine optimization practices, and cross-promotion among the various areas of the college. Collaborates with Information Technology Services to manage the College's online presence.
- Provides leadership and maintains governance of website standards to ensure data integrity, brand consistency, content quality and user experience. Helps establish and adheres to our collective approach for search engine optimization, site architecture, functionality, interactions, accessibility and analytics to meet institutional goals.
- Creates policies and procedures (based on best practices for higher education) to ensure clear and consistent workflows for the effective and efficient management of all content and web practices through a collaborative approach.
- Facilitates the placement of content and the enhancement of web applications and utility of the web site. Ensures the web team maintains current and accurate information on the site.
- Responsible for coaching, mentoring, inspiring, and elevating team members in their work across all touchpoints of a cohesive digital experience. Pushes boundaries through innovative thinking, thrives in solving complex challenges, and has a strong focus on performance and results.
- Key point person for digital experience of other platforms with third party vendors such as the institution's digital agency or other content management systems to project manage production schedules and provide critical feedback.
- Serves as the "bridge" between the content, creative, digital marketing, communications and programming functions connected by the website.
- Proactively measures the performance of the public website in Google Analytics, including setting up and maintaining goals, views and key performance indicators. Develops and maintains Google Data Studio dashboards. Manages analytics duties including managing accounts access, site tagging and configuration and user training as needed.
- Assures that software and web systems are kept up to date and ensures acceptable levels of performance. Maintains best practices in industry standards for web security.
- Responsible for the exploration, implementation, testing and maintenance of new technology as it relates to website performance, user experience, and security.
- In collaboration with the College Relations team, continually assesses the current website and related technologies to develop digital marketing strategies that meet the current and future needs of the college.
- Establishes procedures and guidelines to support research and development activities to determine the suitability of new technology and new procedures to the college environment.
- Available and on-call during an after-hours crisis or emergency situation to deploy messaging on the web. Supports campus and community notification of emergencies via the website and assists with emergency response planning and preparation.
- Serves as primary web support for special institutional projects and initiatives.
- Stays current with technological developments, digital marketing, analytics, and leadership best practices.
- Others job related duties as assigned
Hiring Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Bachelor's degree in web development, computer science, marketing, communications, or related field; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Master degree preferred.
- Five years progressive experience in the management, design, creation, and implementation of professional websites and digital marketing strategies in a complex, dynamic environment.
- Minimum of three years of experience in a management or supervisory role with increasing responsibilities. Union environment preferred.
- Experience with content management systems. Working knowledge of Cascade preferred.
- Extensive experience with web applications, web design and digital marketing and communications tactics.
- Ability to perform multiple managerial and technical communication tasks with updated skills to meet changing job conditions.
- Ability to coordinate and organize requests and effectively prioritize, oversee and facilitate projects and requests.
- Strong knowledge and experience with SEO, SEM, Google Analytics, Google AdWords and social platforms and digital marketing. Strong analytical skills and proven marketing analytics experience.
- Ability to create and explain standards for design, navigation and browser capability (e.g. accessibility, fonts, formatting, icons, images, layout techniques and modularization) lead effective design strategies that align with the college's brand and integrated marketing strategy for large, complex projects.
- Ability to manage large complex projects and teams; communicate technical/complex information both verbally and in writing to non-technical audiences; analyze and problem-solve a variety of issues; carry out strategic planning activities.
- Demonstrated experience and evidence of maintaining and building strong relationships and the ability to influence and lead others to garner support and excitement around strategy that may be new and different to others.
- Strong business acumen and data analytics skills.
- Demonstrated out of the box thinker and creative problem solver.
- Proven skills in planning and managing web and digital marketing/communications projects including preparing and maintaining accurate records of upgrades and service requests.
- Understanding of the creative side and analytical side of marketing; ongoing awareness of digital marketing strategies; ability to manage the college's brand identity within the marketing strategy.
- Experience in search and social advertising; URL architecting; and programmatic advertising.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an ability to work well in a team environment; ability to work effectively in a multi-tasking environment.
- Ability to understand the use of applications and frameworks that would be used for the position (MS Office, Adobe Creative Cloud, HTML, CSS, JSON, XML, .NET, Bootstrap, SASS, etc.)
- Full understanding of the technical/programming requirements and possibilities that relate to site functionality.
- Solid/working knowledge of how to develop, use and deploy keywords and phrases used in metadata within the HTML code that the programmers in IT would be developing.
- Team-player with a positive outlook.
- Knowledge of ADA and WCAG 2.0 requirements
Administrative supervision is received by the Director of Marketing
Functional supervision is exercised over the web and digital team.
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:15 am - 5:00 pm; on call for emergencies and flexibility needed
Salary: $70,399 - Starting salary may change due to the completion of staff negotiations
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.