RESEARCH/LAB TECHNICIAN SENIOR
Job Title: RESEARCH/LAB TECHNICIAN SENIOR
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 36549
Research Core Facilities - Plant Transformation Core FacilityJob Description
• Perform general greenhouse work independently, such as preparing pots, planting, watering, fertilizing, pollination, seed harvesting, seed/plant material shipping to customers and maintaining various crop plants according to specific protocols
• Pollinate maize self/crosses and determine appropriate size embryos for lab needs and deliver to lab.
• Note unusual or abnormal plant growth characteristics and report for troubleshooting.
• Assist in plant transformation experiments with media preparation/subcultures/explant preparations.
• Maintain proper record for each plant during growth and to track the seed once harvested.
• Prepare seed/plant material for shipment to outside laboratories/organizations.
• Weekend plant care such as watering and pollination.
• Maintain and clean greenhouses, laboratory equipment and growth chambers.
• Closely collaborate with other members of the Plant Transformation Core Facility
• Must have ability to work in greenhouses and in lab.
• Must have ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
• Weekend plant care such as watering and pollination required.
• Excellent observation skills to detect issues with plant growth and performance
• Attention to detail
• High level of organization and good communication skills
Salary Range: $13.27 - $22.73
GGS Grade: 6
University Title: Senior Research/Lab Technician
Internal applicants can determine their university title by accessing the Talent Profile tile in myHR.Shift
- 40 hours per week, Weekend plant care such as watering and pollination required.
High school diploma or equivalent and at least 2 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.Preferred Qualifications
• BS in Plant Science or related field.
• One or more years of experience in plant science, preferably with experience in management of greenhouse plants.
Management of greenhouse operations in a manner that maintains plants free of insect and disease pests and results in seed production. Supporting transformation lab activities such that the efficiency of the rest of the transformation team is enhanced.
• Cover letter and CVColumbia Missouri Information
Columbia, Mo., is known as an ideal college town, combining small-town comforts, community spirit and low cost of living with big-city culture, activities and resources. Home to nationally renowned public schools and other colleges and educational centers, Columbia is packed with restaurants and entertainment venues and hosts more than a dozen annual cultural festivals.Benefit Eligibility
This position is eligible for University benefits. The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision plans, retirement, paid time off, and educational fee discounts. For additional information on University benefits, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor of Human Resource Services/Affirmative Action officer at 573-882-4256.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Disability Inclusion and ADA Compliance Manager at 573-884-7278.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links: