Manager, Board Affairs & Community Relations
Job location: Wichita, KS
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-04-14
The manager for board affairs and community relations will provide a high level of active and independent administrative support to the Office of the President of the Kansas Health Science Center (KHSC). The position is responsible for coordinating all organizational activities related to the KHSC Board of Trustees, board committees, and fiduciary council. Additionally, the position will also be responsible for developing and managing community and public relationships to advance KHSC's strategic initiatives and goals.
- Manage all aspects for the KHSC Board of Trustees (BOT), board committees, and fiduciary council.
- Plan and execute all BOT/committee meetings, conferences, system-wide special events, or retreats.
- Facilitate all correspondence to the BOT, committee, and council members (i.e., calendar invitations, routine and non-routine communications, monthly board reports, etc.).
- Utilize and manage Diligent Boards online portal for board materials and coordinate Diligent training for new users.
- Schedule and manage the master board and committee meeting calendar.
- Prepare agendas, documents, presentations, and reports, including composition, editing, spelling, grammar, and proofreading.
- Attend all board and committee meetings to record and transcribe meeting minutes.
- Coordinate all routine and non-routine governance activities (i.e., election cycle, committee assignments, conflict of interest disclosure statements, trustee self-assessment process, bylaw, and manual updates, etc.).
- Manage board templates, document repository, and record keeping.
- Coordinate board/committee records with the Corporate Secretary.
- Available to travel and attend various board and committee meetings.
- Develop and implement a plan to support KHSC’s community relation goals and activities.
- Work with the Advancement Department and serve as a key point of contact for community leaders, institutions, businesses, and residents.
- Represent KHSC by joining community organizations and regularly attend community events in the area.
- Collaborate with various teams including, but not limited to, academic affairs, marketing, public relations, and advancement teams.
- Develop, organize and support KHSC based events, meetings, and other activities.
- Initiate and support engagement opportunities within the organization.
- Support special projects as directed by The President's Office.
- Available to travel and attend various meetings and events.
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to interact in a calm, supportive, and professional manner with diverse and culturally diverse internal and external constituents.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and assignments and meet demanding deadlines, establish priorities, and work in an organized manner with an emphasis on detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work independently without close supervision and as a member of a team, seek consultation when necessary.
- High level of reliability, creativity, and confidentiality.
- Bachelor's degree in business, communication, or public relations preferred.
- Three-five years of related experience required, with at least three years of experience supporting a senior-level executive is desired.
- Exceptional customer service skills; outstanding oral and written communication skills; the ability to multi-task and maintain a high level of productivity and efficiency. Must be responsive and quick thinking and possess an innate ability to anticipate and respond to issues.
- Must possess advanced knowledge/skills with the Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet tools, and applications.
Kansas Health Science Center offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition reimbursement, professional development, and regular employee appreciation events.
Kansas Health Science Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.