Job Number: 89400
The Van Haren Lab at Stanford University is seeking a highly motivated and well-organized Life Science Research Assistant to join a collaborative, team-oriented, purpose-driven research team. The lab studies the molecular mechanisms of childhood neuroinflammatory disorders (e.g. multiple sclerosis, X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy). Responsibilities include planning and executing experiments in collaboration with the post-docs and Dr Van Haren, using techniques in mouse models, cell culture, molecular biology, and flow cytometry. The Van Haren lab collaborates closely with several laboratories on the Stanford campus and around the world.
The team member will help perform experiments aimed at understanding the molecular mechanisms of human neuroinflammatory disorders. Candidates will be encouraged to develop and pursue scientific insights and hypotheses.
The Van Haren lab strives to create an inclusive, collaborative, dynamic and positive environment aimed at alleviating childhood neuroinflammatory disorders. The PI has a particular interest in cultivating the careers of team members to help them achieve their long-term career goals in science and medicine.
- Receive hands-on training in experimental techniques studying immunology and metabolism in humans and mouse models.
- Work closely with Dr Van Haren and a designated post-doctoral scholar.
- Plan experiments in support of research projects in lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory.
- Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Apply theories and methods of a life science discipline to interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with post-doc.
- Maintain mouse colonies and assist with relevant experiments studying mouse immunology and metabolism.
- Facilitate general lab maintenance; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records.
- Review and discuss relevant scientific literature and apply learnings to related research.
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students on lab procedures or techniques.
- Contribute to publication of findings. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
*- Other duties may also be assigned.
- High level of integrity, judgement, self-motivation, and independence.
- Enjoyment of working in a social, collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Experience in handling mice.
- Understanding of cell and molecular biology principles.
- Ability to learn independently through reading of literature.
- Ability to work independently to analyze problems and devise solutions.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous environment.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors bases on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4924
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: F
- Department URL: http://ortho.stanford.edu
- Requisition ID: 89400
Location: School of Medicine, Redwood City, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency