Director, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Integration & Education
Under the direction of the Vice Chancellor of Diversity & Inclusion, the Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Integration and Education will devise and implement organizational capacity building through project management strategies for continuous integration and education of DEI initiatives into the University’s strategic plan at the macro-University level as well as within all three graduate schools, Common Wealth Medicine and Mass Biologics. The Director of DEI Integration and Education, will have responsibility for leading, maintaining, and creating effective metrics for managing the diversity, equity and inclusion work identified in the UMMS strategic plan as well as all relevant components of the strategic plan focused on diversity, equity and inclusion training, education, and programming.Responsibilities
- Devises the project plan for integrating diversity and inclusion into the University’s Strategic Plan the macro plan, as well as the plans for the three graduate schools, Common Wealth Medicine and Mass Biologics
- In collaboration with VC and Associate Vice Chancellor (AVC), develops and institutionalizes an effective process for preparation and dissemination of DEI strategic plan to all stakeholders.
- Works collaboratively with AVC, in aligning affirmative action plans with educational offerings, diversity programming, and diversity survey results.
- In collaboration with VC and AVC and Office of Faculty Affairs, manages the annual gender compensation equity review process for the Medical School.
- Works collaboratively with VC and AVC in creating diversity, inclusion and equity content for education and training of UMMS students, staff, and faculty.
- Develops evaluations to accurately measure and assess the impact of Diversity and Inclusion Office (DIO) programs
- Develops and presents DIO assessment data to stakeholders
- Provides expertise and coaching to department managers to ensure a diverse perspective is embedded in the management of staff and faculty.
- Provides input in the assessment of organizational policies for fairness, consistency and equity.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion content trainer and facilitator
- Provides training on successfully executing the faculty search process in accordance with OFCCP guidelines and UMMS practices.
- Supports the work of the UMMS Committee of Equal Opportunity and Diversity (CEOD) and its subcommittees through participation and engagement
- Provide expertise and coaching to department managers to ensure a diverse perspective is embedded in the management of staff and administration of organization policies for fairness, consistency and equity.
- Provide training on successfully executing the faculty search process in accordance with OFCCP and the VPHE guidelines.
- Ability to travel to off-site locations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Masters Degree in Organizational Development, Public Health, Diversity Management, Human Resources Management, Business Administration, or a related field from an accredited institution and eight (8) years of progressive experience or
- Bachelor's Degree with 10 years of work experience related to the duties of the position
Project Management: strategy development, project design and implementation, project evaluation -assessing and measuring, in the field of diversity and inclusion and/or health equity
Organizational capacity building experience in an academic health science center
Data management of diversity and inclusion impact metrics
Employee Relations experience in an academic health science center
Designing metrics for evaluating individual and organizational behavioral change
Diversity, Inclusion, Health Equity curriculum development
Facilitation of Diversity, Inclusion, Health Equity issues
Knowledge of Affirmative Action Program planning and development techniques
Ability to effectively collect, analyze, evaluate and prepare statistical data
Change management experience – theory, strategy, implementation
Advanced knowledge of equal opportunity programs and related rules and regulations.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, employees, and external partners.
Ability to make sound, independent decisions and to execute such decisions effectively and timely.
Conflict resolution skills, mediation experience preferred.
Strong negotiation and conflict management skills.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to research and interpret Federal and state laws as well as Massachusetts State Institutions of Higher Learning Board policies and procedures
- Successful track record in motivating large teams and influencing diverse individuals and communities.
- Excellent leadership, collaboration, and influencing skills
- Experience in leading change within complex and diverse organization cultures
- Highly flexible and adapts well to a rapidly changing environment
- Be able to administer institutional policies relating to affirmative action and equal opportunity and develop programs that meet institutional goals and objectives
- Demonstrated understanding of the concerns of groups protected under law and institutional policy
- Demonstrated success in creating and executing strategies that create cultural change
- Strong appreciation for and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees
- Ability to mediate faculty, staff and student conflicts
- Ability to effectively identify, break down, and manage difficult situations and work tasks
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office