Assistant Director of Operations
Vacancy Open to:
All CandidatesEmployment Type:
Permanent - Full-timeHours per week:
40Months per year:
012680NC Salary Grade Equivalency:
Student Services Specialist - JourneyWorking Title:
Assistant Director of OperationsSalary Range:
$37,253 - $46,895Anticipate Hiring Range:
$37,253 - $42,182FLSA Status:
Student Union Activities & Rec(Adm)Work Unit:
Student UnionWork Schedule:
8:00 am – 5:00 pm; Monday – Friday, with some evening and weekend hours required, in accordance with event schedules.Primary Purpose of Position:
The Assistant Director for Operations is an integral part of the daily operation of the Popp Martin Student Union at UNC Charlotte. The Assistant Director is responsible for the overall management and development of the student staff, including recruitment, training, evaluation, and supervision, consistently ensuring policies and procedures are administered and learning outcomes are achieved. They will provide ongoing management initiatives within the Student Union, including oversight of the Building Managers and Information Center, collaboration with facilities staff to ensure meeting/event space cleanliness, maintenance and support general building operations at the direction of the Associate Director. They will supervise the full-time Operations Coordinator. The Assistant Director will work closely with Conferences, Reservations, and Event Services (CRES) and other staff to ensure the comprehensive details of meetings, conferences, and other programs are managed to both customer and departmental standards for events hosted within the Popp Martin Student Union. He/She will also assist with risk management activities, budget development, inventory control, customer service initiatives, and other projects as needed in support of the mission of the Popp Martin Student Union and the University at large.Minimum Education/Experience:
Required Minimum Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree; or equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
University Preferred Qualifications:
Graduation from a four-year college or university and two years of administrative or office management experience in the student services or related field; or equivalent.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Essential Job Duties:
*Develop and administer, in conjunction with Popp Martin Student Union, Cone University Center, NinerTech and other student employee supervisors, an inclusive student employee training program based on sound student development principles and current industry best practices. Ensure student employee training protocols are current and available in multiple distribution formats, including Canvas.
*In coordination with Operations Coordinator, Associate Director and Assistant Director of Cone Center supervise, train, and develop approximately 100 student employees functioning as Student Building Managers, Operations Assistants, Loading Dock Attendants, Art Gallery Attendants and Information Center Specialists. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, recruitment, training, supervision, evaluation, counseling, and discipline.
- Hire, train, supervise, evaluate and develop the Operations Coordinator, providing comprehensive support and resources to ensure success.
- Manage the daily functions of the Building Managers and Information Center ensuring proper staffing, adequate resources, updated technology, information and marketing dissemination, policy enforcement, and the provision of high end customer service at all times.
- Serve as liaison to the Conferences, Reservations, and Event Services (CRES) department, meeting regularly with staff to ensure proper staffing, support, and resources for events scheduled in the Popp Martin Student Union.
- Manage the daily operations of a comprehensive event schedule, ensuring all setup and pre-production requests are in place in a timely manner, audio visual requests are fulfilled, and all equipment is operating to departmental standards.
- Benchmark training programs with those of other higher education institutions, and integrate best practices as appropriate. Manage record keeping process and all recognition activity for program participants. Integrate outcome data with annual assessment plan and departmental strategic plan.
- Direct, evaluate, and implement improvements within the student employee model to achieve organizational goals.
*Develop and administer student staff development opportunities and assist in designing and executing student staff recognition and reward programs.
- Serve as backup for student staff, serving with the Operations Coordinator in an “on-call” capacity for students when needed during night, weekend, inclement weather, and holiday shifts.
- Serve as part of the Student Union Operations Team, providing insight and recommendations in strategic planning, financial issues, student development, and departmental oversight.
*Collaborate with the facilities team (including Building Services and Maintenance) to ensure meeting and event spaces are clean and maintained at all times and in a timely manner.
- Serve as a resource on the development, management, and enforcement of policies and procedures, offering recommendations as needed on updates and revisions.
- Assess risk management associated with events held in the Popp Martin Student Union, and make recommendations for adherence to university guidelines.
- Develop and assess daily event operations workflow and the performance of student staff while utilizing results to inform future best practices
- Assist the Associate Director in developing and managing departmental budgets related to Student Union operations and systems.
- Master’s degree in Student Personnel Administration, Business, or related field and 1-3 years of experience in a Student Center, Student Union or University Center environment and/or facilities, operations and services management field.
- Knowledge and understanding of the role of a University Center and/or Student Union.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, documented by prior experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to supervise full-time and student employees.
- Proficient computer and technology skills.
- Ability to develop collaborative relationships, both internally and externally.
- Knowledge of student development theory and experience in practically applying this knowledge.
- Experience with the development of student training programs.
- Interpersonal and human resource management skills.
- Willingness and flexibility to work with students in unstructured situations at variable hours and weekends.
- Proven ability to manage and provide leadership for a diverse set of facilities, programs, and services.
- Understand basic accounting principles and budget development.
Student UnionPosting date:
05/17/2021Proposed Hire Date:
07/30/2021Special Notes to Applicants:
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application.
These documents will be used to evaluate your written communication skills as well as supporting documents of your knowledge, skills, abilities, education and professional experience.
Upload resume and cover letter as PDF file to ensure proper formatting.
Please ensure your full range of knowledge, skills, abilities, experience and education are listed on your application.
Do not write ‘see resume’ on your application when completing the job duties section.
If you answer the questions at the end of the application, please ensure your application reflects the knowledge, skills, abilities and experiences to support your answers (see job duties section of previous employment).
Failure to answer the questions at the end of the application will not preclude your application from being considered but may result in your application not receiving full consideration of your knowledge, skills, and abilities.