Assistant/Associate Director of Student Affairs, Professional Degree Programs
Job location: Remote - Washington
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-05-03
*** This position is located in Rosslyn, VA ***
The University of Virginia Darden School of Business, one of the world's leading business schools, seeks an Assistant/Associate Director of Student Affairs, Professional Degree Programs to join its team in Rosslyn, VA. With strong momentum in the residential MBA and executive MBA formats, the Assistant/Associate Director joins Darden at an exciting time.
This position is responsible, in partnership with the Director, for advising and supporting executive degree students, and helping to develop and coordinate a wide array of student programming that builds a strong inclusive community. Currently, Darden has almost 300 students pursuing their MBA in the executive format based in Rosslyn, Virginia each year, with potential for future growth in offerings for working professionals. The position requires extensive contact with students, faculty, other Darden departments, and staff. Some weekend and evening work required.
This position is also responsible for advising student clubs and working with elected student leaders, supporting their activities and providing support services to executive format MBA students with a focus on the implementation and evaluation of programs and services that build a strong inclusive community.
This position requires the ability to work well independently and with others in a fast-paced, selective and highly competitive academic environment. Excellent presentation, organization, oral and written communication skills, and experience in a student or customer facing environment are critical.
The Assistant/Associate Director reports to the Director of Student Affairs and Engagement, Professional Degree Programs and works closely with the Professional Degree Programs team and other departments that support executive format students. The Assistant Director also works closely with the Student Affairs team supporting residential degree programs to collaborate across all Darden degree students, share best practices and find areas of mutual programming and interest.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
Partnering with the Director, provide student advising and support:
- Respond to daily student emails and ad hoc issues (issue and idea triage)
- Provide 1:1 advising to individual students
- Meet and follow up with students in need of extra assistance
General advisor for Darden elected student leaders and student groups:
- Develop, enhance, and manage processes and structure to support student leadership (e.g., election process, governance documents, required approvals and formalities, etc.)
- Work with student groups on the development of their goals and objectives and execution of their activities, events, etc.
- Provide guidance to students interested in creating a new group / club and help connect clubs to other internal UVA and Darden resources and teams, as needed
- Work with internal teams to arrange logistical support for student event planning
Support strategic special projects and initiatives, in partnership with Director:
- Conduct occasional peer school benchmarking / research
- Help analyze / synthesize student feedback (informal and survey data) to identify opportunities for program enhancements or new initiatives
- Support efforts to bring some new initiatives from initial idea stage to execution
- Develop new co-curricular activities and programming (e.g., speaker events)
Serve as part of residency weekend staffing team:
- Attend some residency weekends to engage with students in person, facilitate student events and support the operations team (e.g., answer student questions, support faculty requests, etc.)
- Residency weekend staffing expected to require occasional Friday afternoons/evenings and Saturdays (less than once per month)
Manage other duties as assigned:
- Partner closely with Office of Student Affairs for the residential MBA format, finding ways to collaborate, leverage learnings across programs, etc.
- Coordinate with Office of Engagement and Alumni Affairs for building life-long relationships with students during program and beyond graduation
- Exercise discretion in daily decision-making within the strategic framework established by a Director, and may exercise management authority in the absence of a Director.
Professional experience and education:
- Assistant Director – Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years of experience.
- Associate Director – Master’s degree and at least 3 years of experience.
- Demonstrated high level of professionalism, customer service, attention to detail, follow-through, teamwork, flexibility and positive, can-do attitude.
- Ability to work independently and in confidence, understanding the need to protect confidentiality.
- Commitment to fostering an inclusive environment and experience working with diverse populations.
- Excellent ability to build and maintain effective collaborative relationships, including a diverse set of staff, faculty and graduate students.
- Excellent communication, customer service and time management skills.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to digest feedback and information (verbal or written), synthesize, and brainstorm potential solutions
- Strong process management, influencing and problem resolution skills
- Agile learner; able to readily apply past learning's in new situations to generate solutions to challenges
- Demonstrated experience handling multiple priorities and / or managing multiple initiatives and timelines successfully in a professional office environment.
- Higher Education experience, working with students, faculty and academic programs preferred, working with programming for working professional students a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft suite office programs (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel).
- Familiarity of tools for virtual meetings (Zoom preferred).
Competitive salary based on experience.
This position will remain open until filled . This is an Exempt level, benefited position. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. This position will also require insert any additional checks. For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Ashley Cochran, Senior Recruiter at email@example.com.
Please apply through Workday, and search for "Assistant/Associate Director of Student Affairs, Professional Degree Programs". Complete an application online and attach a cover letter and CV/resume all into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.