Associate Director, Editorial
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-05-03
The University of Virginia Darden School of Business, one of the world's leading business schools, seeks a talented professional to join its communications and marketing team.
The Associate Director, Editorial will extend Darden’s reputation as one of the world’s leading business schools by supporting and telling the Darden story. A strong writer and editor, the role will identify and develop content across the School and network that expresses its mission to improve the world by inspiring responsible leaders through transformational learning experiences.
The successful candidate will assisting in managing Darden’s strategic communications plan and will write, edit and distribute news stories and external and internal communications, ensuring that top-quality content is distributed across communication mediums. A team player with interest in the topics of business and higher education, the successful candidate will have the vision, talent and energy to build on Darden’s legacy of excellence.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Collaborates with Communication & Marketing team directors to develop and execute a vision for communication and marketing-related content and to ensure maximum, global impact for content from the Darden School.
- Sources and reports the key stories from Darden that have the potential for the greatest interest and impact. Mines and lifts newsworthy information from faculty, staff, students, the three formats of the MBA programs (full-time MBA, Executive MBA and Global Executive MBA), the Master of Science in Business Analytics, Executive Education (custom and open-enrollment programs) and the School’s 10 research centers.
- Profiles alumni and donors of the Darden network.
- Leverages exceptional writing and editing skills, creativity and a keen ability to identify newsworthy topics to develop or assign content, as appropriate, for: news releases, media events, the website, fundraising, social media, publications, executive presentations (including speechwriting).
- Serves as copy editor of key publications, such as The Darden Report alumni magazine, The Investors Report and Pillars: The Power of Philanthropy at the Darden School of Business.
- Assists with executive speechwriting and internal communications.
- Writes and edits assigned stories.
- Manages relevant sections of the website, uploading new and fresh content.
Professional experience and education:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or English or related field — advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of journalism or corporate communications experience.
- Business acumen, and experience covering the field of business, is appreciated.
- Skilled at managing projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven evironment.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with a broad and diverse array of internal and external stakeholders.
- Exceptional, demonstrated writing, editing and proofreading skills, and a keen ability to identify high-impact topics.
- Experience with content management systems.
- Superior oral communication skills.
- Highly organized and detail- and results-orientation.
- Exercises initiative, judgment, discretion and decision-making to achieve organizational objectives.
- Able to communicate clearly and accurately about complex and/or sensitive issues and to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated digital communication skills: social media platforms, spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations, graphics and database software.
- Knowledge of business issues and current affairs.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Occasional evening or weekend work and travel will be necessary.
Salary competitive with experience.
This position will remain open until filled . This is an Exempt level, benefited position. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. This position will also require insert any additional checks. For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Ashley Cochran, Senior Recruiter at email@example.com.
Please apply through Workday, and search for "Associate Director, Editorial". Complete an application online and attach a cover letter and CV/resume all into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.