Darden Future Year Scholars Dean’s Fellow
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-05-06
The Darden Future Year Scholars Dean’s Fellow is a prestigious honor that includes a merit scholarship and a full-time, two-year paid position supporting Darden and the dean’s office on the school’s current, highest priorities. The Fellow will work on a variety of strategic, digital and marketing consulting-like projects and help conduct cutting edge analysis, assist with critical research, coordinate outreach and communications, and manage special projects as assigned by the Dean, Chief of Staff, Sr. Assistant Dean for Student Engagement, and other members of the Dean’s Enterprise team. The Fellow reports to the Dean’s Chief of Staff. The Fellow may spend dedicated time in specific Darden departments working to advance strategic projects as assigned by the Dean’s Office and Enterprise Team leaders.
The Fellow will be comfortable conducting analysis, developing presentations and managing complex projects to deliver timely results against key priorities. He or she will deal well with ambiguity, demonstrate flexibility with changing needs and exhibit grace under pressure. The Fellow will be a team player, able to work within a matrixed and non-hierarchical structure and work independently using a high level of analytical and people skills.
This position has a 2-year term limit (and in certain cases may be awarded for one year), at which time the Fellow will matriculate into the Darden MBA program. At the conclusion of the appointment, the Fellow will be required to submit a written summary report of accomplishments, including recommendations for current and future initiatives. The position is paid with benefits, and includes a guaranteed merit scholarship for each year of service if the Fellow is committed to Darden. The Fellow will be able to compete for other scholarships at Darden. Each Fellow will receive personal coaching from the dean of Darden. Between one and three Fellows may be appointed in any one year.
Application deadline for this opportunity is June 11, 2021. The anticipated start date of the position is August 30, 2021.
Support for the Dean’s Office Priorities:
- Conducts research and provides analysis related to the shaping and implementation of the Darden’s mission and strategic initiatives.
- Researches and analyzes issues in higher education for the Dean, Chief of Staff’s and Sr. Assistant Dean’s review and use.
- Involving key stakeholders as appropriate, support the Dean’s projects including research, analysis, and soliciting, assimilating, and shaping recommendations.
- Identifies and supports opportunities for the Dean to engage with the University community, with a particular focus on opportunities for student interaction.
- Researches, coordinates, and drafts briefing and background materials for the Dean, Chief of Staff and Sr. Assistant Dean in advance of meetings and events.
- Prepares presentation materials for the Dean, Chief of Staff and Sr. Assistant Dean.
- Collaborates with staff in the Dean’s Office to coordinate and execute special projects.
- Serves as a liaison between the Dean’s Office and other University/Darden departments for specific projects and assignments. May work within a given Darden department on a special assignment as required for a fixed period of time.
- Provides coverage and assistance during major Dean’s events, as necessary.
- Carries out other duties as assigned by the Dean, Chief of Staff or Sr. Assistant Dean.
- Assists with unforeseen priorities that emerge in the Office of the Dean.
- A bachelor’s degree and acceptance into Darden’s Future Year Scholars program. Bachelor’s in a social science, business, statistics, or data science field preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; proven ability to clearly articulate information in multiple forums to a broad array of stakeholders.
- Attention to detail and ability to juggle multiple projects big and small; organized.
- Excellent operational and project management skills, including the ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. Ability to utilize data for effective analysis.
- High level of emotional intelligence, empathy, and collaboration that allows the incumbent to achieve results through informal authority.
- Trustworthy and demonstrates strong integrity and sound judgment about how to represent the Dean and his office in a variety of settings - including ability to exercise appropriate discretion when dealing with sensitive or confidential issues.
- Technical skills in working with spreadsheet and presentation software.
- Ability to interact with executive level administrators, faculty, staff, students, alumni, and other stakeholders in a productive, positive and professional manner.
- Flexibility and capability to deal with ambiguity and shared governance.
- Ability to handle sensitive issues while maintaining complete confidentiality.
- Ability to exercise discretion in prioritizing tasks, sharing information, and using independent judgment.
- Ability to work independently as well as in collaboration with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of initiative and to execute actions using judgment and discretion.
- Impact and end product orientation; gets things done both individually and through others. Believes in and is motivated by Darden’s mission.
- Basic understanding of simple business concepts and language (e.g., finance or accounting) a plus; or willingness to learn by taking a basic prep course at Darden’s expense.
Annual salary: $50,000.00
This is an Exempt level, benefited position. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. This position will also require insert any additional checks. For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Ashley Cochran, Senior Recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please apply through Workday, and search for "Darden Future Year Scholars Dean's Fellow". Complete an application online and attach a cover letter and CV/resume all into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.