Associate Director of Financial Aid
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-05-03
The University of Virginia Darden School of Business seeks an Associate Director of Financial Aid to assist in coordinating and administering federal, state, and institutional financial aid programs for the Darden School of Business. The associate director will be the primary point of contact for managing and administering Access Darden, a need based aid program at Darden. This position also contributes to the compliance of federal and state regulations, creation and enforcement of office policies and procedures to ensure timely and accurate delivery of student financial aid.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
Financial Aid Administration
- Review changes made yearly by College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile to determine the impact on Darden’s Institutional Methodology Expected Financial Contribution (IM EFC) calculation to suggest updates needed to adjust the University Financial Aid Application (UFAA) and IM EFC calculations.
- Assist students with questions about the requested documents to calculate their financial need.
- Complete the verification process to determine eligibility for student financial aid using institutional need-analysis formulas as well as using financial information submitted by student financial aid applicants on the (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) FAFSA and UFAA.
- Create financial aid offer packages keeping within federal and State regulations, University endowment policies and donor restrictions on over 150 scholarship accounts.
- Certify alternative loans in ELM and post loans in the Student Information System (SIS).
- Review subsequent Institutional Student Information Records (ISIR) to determine impact on student eligibility.
- Represent the Darden School and its students to the University Student Financial Services team and balance the interests of both units in finding solutions to complex issues.
- Attend all training on SIS and University Business Intelligence (UBI) necessary to operate in the realm of all aspects of University Student Financial Services (both Student Accounts and Financial Aid).
- Identify issues and recommend improvements for UBI reports.
Financial Aid Counseling
- Assist students with questions on EFC determination.
- In conjunction with other financial aid staff, participate in admission related events and counseling at those events.
- Conduct individual Entrance Counseling Sessions with newly admitted students.
- Conduct Exit Counseling Sessions with graduating students.
- Counsel students on how to fund their education.
Professional experience and education:
- Bachelor’s degree required with at least four years of progressively responsible experience in higher education financial aid.
- Both a Master’s degree and 4-7 years of experience determining eligibility for student financial aid (using federal need based aid and institutional need-analysis formulas) are preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to review, interpret, and make professional judgments on complex issues while maintaining compliance with federal and state regulations. As regulations are proposed advise senior management on the potential impacts on Darden students.
- Demonstrated ability to consistently apply federal, state, and institutional regulations and policies.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize large volumes of data from numerous sources, and the ability to utilize all available resources appropriately.
- Working knowledge of the CollegeBoard products specifically CSS/Profile
- Ability to prioritize duties and responsibilities to meet office goals and objectives.
- Ability to handle and manage ambiguity, repetition, and change.
- Ability to function effectively in a team environment, with minimal supervision, to achieve results and meet goals in a service-oriented environment.
- Displays excellent organizational skills, can simplify and clarify complex processes, and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and is able to take initiative and motivate others.
- Strong customer service skills and the ability to develop rapport to discuss sensitive and personal information and to resolve customer concerns/questions.
- Proficiency in MS-Office products, database management, report writing and social network outlets.
- Strong technical and web-based skills with the ability to identify and initiate improvements to processes and systems. Proficiency in Peoplesoft and Oracle preferred.
Salary competitive based on experience.
This position will remain open until filled . This is an Exempt level, benefited position. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. This position will also require insert any additional checks. For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Ashley Cochran, Senior Recruiter at email@example.com.
Please apply through Workday, and search for "Associate Director of Financial Aid". Complete an application online and attach a cover letter and CV/resume all into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.