Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-05-03
The University of Virginia Darden School of Business, one of the world's leading business schools, seeks an experienced and reliable Maintenance Associate to join its facilities team. With several construction projects underway, including a new inn and conference center and renovated alumni hall, the Maintenance Associate joins Darden at an exciting time.
As part of the facilities team, the Maintenance Associate is responsible for various service duties regarding the maintenance, care, and modification of Darden buildings and grounds. Ideal candidates may be certified in a skill area, or experienced in working with several unlicensed and unspecialized crafts. This positions works both independently and as part of team, with assigned work and limited supervision.
The Associate supports the commitment of the Darden’s facilities team, to provide consistent, cost-effective and reliable maintenance and service to the Darden facilities.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Perform routine system maintenance, preventative maintenance, building, construction, equipment repairs.
- Assess problems, undertaking corrective actions, and site cleanup.
- Develop an increasing knowledge of types of material and equipment used for the various utility systems involved in Darden projects.
- Maintain accurate records on time projects, job requests, and work orders.
- With the Assistant Director, determine material and equipment for specific jobs, as well as initiate purchase orders.
- Initiate work orders with University facilities.
- Meet with and respond to customer requests on work status in coordination with the supervisor.
- Perform maintenance work using hand and power tools by making carpentry repairs, performing minor plumbing repairs, and replacing defective electrical parts.
- Perform cosmetic repairs, such as painting walls and maintaining woodwork, to uphold the overall aesthetic appeal of buildings and grounds.
- Operate a wide variety of small hand and power tools, as well as larger equipment and vehicles such as pick-up trucks, tractors, mowers, saws, grass trimmers, snow and leaf blowers, sprayers, and paint machines.
- Perform special delivery services by loading items on delivery vehicles, safeguarding items during transit, personally delivering items, and obtaining the appropriate signature to provide evidence of receipt of the delivered items.
- Perform custodial services using hand and power tools in areas such as buildings, classrooms, offices, lavatories, and restrooms, including their furnishings, as needed.
- Move furniture regarding special event setup or remodeling and renovations.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
Professional experience and education:
- High school diploma or equivalent with four years of experience.
- Working knowledge in the use of a variety of diagnostic tools, instruments, equipment, hand and power tools. The ability to understand and read blueprints and drawings is preferred.
- Ability to collaborate and engage with Zone maintenance staff.
- Ability to understand and interpret the maintenance agreement between Darden and the Zone maintenance team.
- Ability to lift various weights, climb ladders and stairs in order to complete jobs.
- Experience in multiple trades and/or trades certificate/license is preferred. Experience working in a university setting is preferred.
- Ability and willingness to adhere to applicable traffic laws, operator instructions, required appropriate clothing and protection, safety standards, and federal, state, and local regulations.
- Position requires the ability to sit, stand, walk, climb stairs and ladders, crawl, stoop, bend, squat, lift, pull, and use both hands-on repetitive tasks (including overhead tasks).
- Position requires must have normal (correctable) vision and hearing.
Anticipated hiring range: $17.50 - $19.00 per hour
This position will remain open until filled . This is an Non-Exempt level, benefited position. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. This position will also require insert any additional checks. For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Ashley Cochran, Senior Recruiter at email@example.com.
Please apply through Workday, and search for "Maintenance Associate". Complete an application online and attach a cover letter and CV/resume all into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.