Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-05-03
The University of Virginia Darden School of Business seeks applications from highly qualified individuals for a Case Researcher position. The incumbent will independently manage the process to translate broadly defined teaching needs (defined by the faculty) into completed deliverables. This generally will result in high quality teaching materials to be used in the Darden classroom and marketed externally. In addition, the Case Researcher will develop technical notes that analyze relevant research and translate this into frameworks, models, etc. The incumbent will also work with the faculty author to develop teaching notes detailing how the material could be taught in a non-Darden classroom.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
Produce new and revised business school cases
- Independently manage the process to translate broadly defined teaching needs (as defined by the faculty) into a completed deliverable. Elements of this process typically include
- Identify company(s) that would be a good case subject.
- Initiate contact with executives from the prospective company and gain agreement for active participation.
- Research business concepts that are illustrated in the case in order to incorporate them into the case.
- Conduct primary source research using databases to obtain background financial, industry and other relevant information to develop the case.
- Generate questions and conduct interviews with company executives, obtain relevant internal company documents to support the case.
- Write case and create exhibits for review and approval by sponsoring faculty member.
- Lead final review, editing, and approval for case release.
- Write case abstract and publishing house metadata
- Interface with Darden Business Publishing to edit and publish the case.
Produce new teaching notes
- Draft teaching notes.
- Create teaching note exhibits.
- Participate in attending initial class when the case is taught and take notes to prepare completed teaching note.
- Interface with Darden Business Publishing to edit and publish the teaching note.
Produce new technical notes
- Collect and analyze relevant research on framework, model, hypothesis or theory for note.
- Articulate research conclusions and add anecdotal examples to the research conclusion.
- Collaborate with faculty on course design and identify new/revised cases that would meet the course objective.
- Develop plan and timing to create new cases and other teaching material to be integrated into the course.
- As appropriate, participate in teaching meetings.
Submit cases to national and international case research conferences and competitions
- Prepare case material to fit organization’s format.
- Attend meeting s and present material.
- Develop relationships with case writers worldwide.
Professional experience and education:
- Master’s degree in business, finance, economics, or social science field with five years of similar research and/or writing experience or significant work experience in business. Master's degree and 18 months case writing experience highly preferred.
- Knowledge of industry expertise, Darden curriculum, and/or areas of interest to Darden faculty preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication.
- Literacy about business issues.
- Project management ability to manage production of multiple cases and other teaching materials concurrently, being cognizant of approvals and deadline for publication.
- Research capability to access business data bases and other public sources to extract financial information and other relevant background.
- Research experience to translate models and frameworks into practitioner approaches.
- Analytic skills using spreadsheet modeling, statistical tests, and qualitative comparisons.
- Knowledge of business concepts and principles.
- Proficiency in the use of technology, and Office and statistical software to generate data and develop charts, tables, and other graphics.
- Teaching skills – curriculum development and ability to interact with students.
- Ability to work in an unstructured environment and collaborate with faculty.
- Ability to communicate and interact with senior business executives and faculty from around the world.
- Critical thinking and ability to write clearly while meeting deadlines.
Anticipated salary range: $80,000 - $86,000
This position will remain open until filled . This is an Exempt level, benefited position. The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. This position will also require insert any additional checks. For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Ashley Cochran, Senior Recruiter at email@example.com.
Please apply through Workday, and search for "Case Researcher". Complete an application online and attach a cover letter and CV/resume all into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.