Research Technician II (Multiple Positions)
BIO5 InstituteDepartment Website Link:
Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
The BIO5 Institute is looking for highly self-motivated candidates for the role of Research Technician in Dr. Felicia Goodrum’s laboratory. Dr. Goodrum’s research focuses on human cytomegalovirus (CMV) latency. In order to provide support for Dr. Goodrum’s team, the successful candidates will need to learn a wide variety of research support tasks, possess an enthusiasm for science and virology, and develop the ability to work independently in a fast-paced scientific environment. The ideal candidates will be able to develop a basic working knowledge of the principles and technologies in molecular biology, cell biology, virology and biochemistry.
The successful candidates will work in a group led by Dr. Felicia Goodrum, interacting closely with members of her lab in a highly diversified interdisciplinary setting. The candidates will join a motivated and highly collaborative team working to understand viral and cellular mechanisms of persistence. Candidates applying for this position should be detail-oriented with effective communication skills.
The BIO5 Institute connects and mobilizes hundreds of world-class plant, animal, and human bioscientists, engineers, physicians, and computational researchers to develop creative solutions for complex challenges such as disease, hunger, water and food safety, and other health issues facing Arizona.
This interdisciplinary approach has resulted in improved food crops, innovative diagnostics and devices, disease prevention strategies, and promising new therapies.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
TheUniversity of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-lifeprograms. For more information about working at the University of Arizona andrelocations services, please visit talent.arizona.edu
- Assists in laboratory work including labeling, preliminary sorting, measuring and/or processing samples.
- Cleans and/or prepares glassware for experiments, which may include: separating glassware by type and/or size; preparing glassware for autoclaving by wrapping with foil; organizing glassware that has been returned from Glassware cleaning facility; washing glassware when necessary.
- Prepares solutions, reagents and media according to detailed instructions from the lab.
- Assists with management of Inventory and requisition supplies for assigned area; checks in shipments and restocks shelves.
- Assists researchers with routine experiments under supervision.
- Cleans equipment and ensures it is in good working order; performs preventive maintenance or minor repairs to field or laboratory equipment and notifies appropriate person to make major repairs.
- Performs routine laboratory tasks related to the study of virology and CMV.
- As skills specific to the laboratory are acquired, research projects such a the generation or recombinant gene constructs for mutagenesis or expression in transfected cells, generation of lentiviral vectors for shRNA expression and gene knockdown or gene overexpression, recombinant HCMV generation, viral stock propagation will be started.
- Additional duties may be assigned.
- Knowledge of general science.
- Skill in the use of laboratory and/or field equipment.
- Skill in following detailed instructions.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Skill in recombinant/molecular biology techniques such a cloning, site directed mutagenesis, protein expression and analysis, and molecular virology.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience required.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience required.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through experience.
Non-ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
$13.07 - $16.00 per hour DOECompensation Type:
3Career Stream and Level:
Research & LabJob Function:
ResearchType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
2Target Hire Date:
Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
4/30/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.