Assistant Director, Bartlett Labs
SALT Ctr Learning DisabilitiesDepartment Website Link:
Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
The Strategic Alternative Learning Techniques (SALT) Center is a nationally recognized program that provides a wide range of academic supports to more than 650 undergraduates with learning and attention challenges at the University of Arizona. The mission of the Bartlett Labs is to conduct robust assessment and multi-disciplinary, applied research to improve student services within the SALT Center and disseminate information to improve outcomes for all undergraduates with learning and attention challenges. In addition, Bartlett Labs engages with institutional, national, and international partners on a wide range of projects related to research, best practices, and the implementation of new services. This position comprises elements of project management, building and maintaining relationships with partners, and programmatic assessment. Effective verbal and written communication with a wide-range of internal and external audiences is essential to this role.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist with managing the activities of Bartlett Labs, taking the lead on assigned projects. Develop and implement plans to achieve assigned project outcomes.
- Strengthen ties with other campus departments and universities that have shared research and service interests. Initiate new relationships and partnerships when needed.
- Monitor progress toward project goals and budget expenditures making adjustments as necessary.
- Compile relevant data on progress and outcomes and generate periodic reports to share with project members and other constituents.
- Supervise (hire, train, and evaluate performance) team members associated with various projects, as needed.
- Assist with the administration of research grants and visiting scholar opportunities.
- Build relationships with stakeholders interested in supporting the development of programmatic improvements to the SALT Center’s Student Services program.
Assessment & Evaluation
- Assist in the assessment and evaluation of SALT Center Student Services outcomes. Collaborate in the identification of needs and strategies/benchmarks for improvement. Lead efforts to continually improve internal assessment practices.
- Under the supervision of the Director, Bartlett Labs pilot and evaluate program innovations for SALT Center Student Services. Ensure that outcome data support program innovations being both programmatically and financially sustainable before recommending the addition to SALT Center student services.
- Assist in efforts to collaborate with University Analytics and Institutional Research, ensuring strong communication and all policies and procedures align with campus, federal, and other best practices.
- Model and support participation of all SALT Center staff in scholarly practices. Represent the Bartlett Labs at national scholarly and professional conferences. Disseminate findings from the Bartlett Labs and the SALT Center as widely as possible.
- Additional duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of best practices for retention and undergraduate student success. Demonstrated success in assessing and evaluating undergraduate student service programs.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite. Working knowledge of student management and statistical software, including but not limited to TutorTrac, Salesforce, Microsoft Power BI highly preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of the SALT Center’s Student Services, the University of Arizona and the University of Arizona Foundation highly preferred.
- Ability to work successfully in and achieve strategic goals in a complex and decentralized university setting.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and strategic planning skills.
- Excellent writing, public speaking, and interpersonal skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Special Education, Higher Education or a related field.
- Three years of experience with increasing responsibility at the postsecondary level, preferably in academic support services or disability resources.
- Master’s degree in Education, Special Education, Higher Education or a related field.
- Engagement with and strong connections to national networks of programming for undergraduates with learning and attention challenges.
ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Student ServicesBenefits Eligible:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)Grade:
7Career Stream and Level:
Student SupportJob Function:
Student ServicesType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
6/1/2021Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
5/3/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.