Target Hire Date
07/19/2021 - 2 months to go
Join our community and experience Emerson College!
The Records Manager is responsible for implementing the College's records management program. This includes assisting departments with the maintenance, storage, and disposition of their physical and digital records as well as planning and implementing a training program for DROs and the wider Emerson community. The records manager reviews, manages, and weeds institutional records stored offsite with a third -party vendor as well as those located onsite in the Archives. They work with the Assistant Director for Archives & Special Collections to create and update policies, such as the records retention and disposition schedules.
- Develop and implement a training and outreach program for College Departmental Records Officers (DROs) and the general Emerson community at all campus locations. Respond to requests for assistance from College departments by providing them with individualized guidance and training on records management policies and procedures.
- Work with the Assistant Director for Archives & Special Collections to create, maintain, update, and provide access to records management policies, such as the records retention and disposition schedules. This includes but is not limited to surveying records held by College departments and conducting research into current or potential issues.
- Develop, implement, and communicate records management procedures concerning the creation, maintenance, and transfer of College digital assets and related metadata. Collaborate with the digital archivist as needed.
- Maintain and manage records from various College campuses stored offsite with a third party vendor. Develop and implement procedures for transferring records in the Archives to offsite storage; recalling, inventorying, and weeding boxes stored offsite; coordinating the destruction of records stored offsite; and assisting other College departments in sending and retrieving records to/from offsite storage.
- Maintain up-to-date lists, databases, and other documentation regarding current offsite and onsite holdings. This includes the creation/updating of record group content descriptions. Maintain an up-to-date list of DROs.
- Coordinate the shredding of onsite records throughout the College by maintaining a list of current shred bin locations and types; ordering new/replacement bins; and creating/implementing destruction procedures and forms.
- Coordinate the transfer of permanent institutional records to the archives as well as inventory and confirm the retention periods of these records. Work with the Archives & Metadata Technician and Assistant Director for Archives & Special Collections as needed.
- Adhere to all pertinent local, state, and federal laws as well as College and department policies and procedures. Examples include FERPA, the College Records Management Policy, College Data Governance Policy, and the Archives Access and Restriction Policy.
- Work with the Assistant Director for Archives & Special Collections to coordinate, plan, and participate in meetings of the College's Records Management Committee.
- Provide statistics regarding trainings, outreach efforts, transactions, and consultations to the Assistant Director for Archives & Special Collections.
- Assist in recruiting, training, and overseeing the work of student and intern assistants.
- Serve on one or more library teams to serve the needs of the library and its constituencies.
- All other duties as assigned.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- ALA accredited Master's degree in library/information science or a related field with coursework in physical and/or digital records management.
- Three or more years of experience conducting records management activities with a high level of autonomy.
- Comprehensive knowledge of records management theory, standards/best practices, and technologies.
- Experience in interpreting records management policies as well as providing advice and practical assistance to non- experts regarding records management projects, questions, and issues.
- Familiarity with legal issues surrounding the retention and destruction of records.
- Effective written and verbal communication with all levels of staff, faculty, and management, including strong questioning and listening skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with vendors, including coordinating orders, troubleshooting, and maintaining/updating/querying databases and websites.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment. This includes planning, coordinating, and implementing effective programs, complex projects, and service models.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
- Experience in creating and/or implementing training and/or department records officer programs.
- Experience in creating and maintaining records retention and disposition schedules and/or other policies.
- Experience in creating and implementing procedures for e-records.
- 1-3 years project management experience
- Requires long periods of mental and visual concentration.
- Requires working in an office space with no windows.
- Requires the ability to lift and move heavy boxes and objects.
- Requires somewhat frequent travel around the Boston campus and infrequent travel to other College campuses.
- Requires the ability to effectively communicate in-person and through communication media.
Please note that if this position was full-time (all twelve months of the year, and for the full 36.25 hours each week) the salary for this position would be $61,350. Based upon the needs of the team, this position is only needed for 11 months of the year and for 20 hours during those months, so the expected salary is $31,000. However, we find it important to share a possible salary range based upon your experience and qualifications. We look forward to your application materials and having a deeper conversation with you on this and other matters of importance.
Grade of Position: A16E
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 20.00
Hiring Range: $31,140.41 - $32,637.78
11 month position paid over 11 months
This position will be exclusively represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), Local 888 for purposes of wages, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
To apply, please visit: https://emerson.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Emerson_College_Staff/job/Boston-Campus/Records-Manager_JR002571
Emerson College is the nation’s only four-year institution dedicated exclusively to majors in communication and the arts in a liberal arts context. Its main campus is located in the center of the dynamic multicultural city of Boston, in close proximity to major publishing houses, arts institutions, and research centers. The college also has campuses in Los Angeles and the Netherlands. Emerson College enrolls over 4,300 graduate and undergraduate students from more than 70 countries and all 50 states.
Emerson College believes diversity enriches the educational experience by providing students with the opportunity to learn from individuals who may have different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Engagement with diversity in the curriculum, in our co-curricular offerings, and all other aspects of the College enhances the personal and intellectual growth of all members of our campus community. Emerson is committed to strengthening communities, including our workplace, by fostering the development of the intercultural competencies necessary for meaningful citizenship in an increasingly complex, pluralistic society. Emerson College does not discriminate on the basis of sex/gender in its educational programs or activities. Emerson has designated the Associate Vice President, Title IX, and Clery Coordinator to respond to inquiries regarding the College Sexual Misconduct Policy. The Title IX Coordinator may be reached at 8 Park Plaza, Transportation Bldg, Room 230 Boston, MA 02116; Telephone: 617-824-8999; email: [email protected]
Annual Clery Report
In accordance with the federal Clery and Campus SaVE Acts, Emerson College commits to providing all current and prospective students and employees with access to the annual campus security reports for each of our campuses. This report may be accessed from the Emerson College Police Department website.
Information on Emerson College staff grade range
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency