Dean, Graduate School and Research
Dean, Graduate School and Research
Job ID: 226813
Location: Columbus State University
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Founded in 1958, Columbus State University, with an enrollment of nearly 8,000, is part of the University System of Georgia. CSU offers more than 70 programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels and is ranked among the top public regional universities in the South by U.S. News & World Report. Columbus, located 100 miles southwest of Atlanta and the second-largest city in Georgia, is recognized as a vibrant and contemporary cultural community - https://visitcolumbusga.com.
Columbus State University has a nationally recognized track record of partnership and outreach through efforts such as the Cunningham Center for Leadership Development, Coca-Cola Space Science Center, Oxbow Meadows Environmental Learning Center, and its own residence - the Spencer House - in Oxford, England. The University has two primary campus locations in Columbus, Georgia: the original campus on 150 acres in midtown Columbus and a beautiful campus in historic downtown Columbus overlooking the Chattahoochee River. The Columbus region, with more than 350,000 residents, is home to world-class enterprises such as Aflac, Synovus, W.C. Bradley Company, TSYS and Ft. Benning, the U.S. Army's Maneuver Center of Excellence headquarters. For additional information about the University visit our website at www.ColumbusState.edu.
Inclusion is one of Columbus State University's values. The 2018-2023 Strategic Plan specifically states that we will work “to attain a level of diversity among faculty and staff that more closely reflects the student population.” The range of diverse students at CSU is reflected by the diverse student organizations, including Collegiate 100 Men of CSU, Collegiate Women of Columbus State University, Minority Association of Premedical/Prehealth Students, Pride +, CHispA, and others.
Columbus State University seeks an innovative, visionary, and engaged leader to serve as the inaugural Dean of Research and Graduate Studies. The Research and Graduate Studies Dean collaborates with other deans, program directors, unit heads, and faculty across the institution to develop curricula and academic programs that address discipline, institutional, industry, and societal needs. The inaugural dean will provide leadership and vision for the graduate and research missions of the University. Responsibilities include representing the Graduate School and university to internal and external constituents and supporting professional outreach and service regionally, nationally, and internationally. The dean will lead the Graduate Council, which consists of representatives appointed by the deans in consultation with graduate faculty in the colleges and works collaboratively with college deans and graduate directors to advance the mission of graduate education across the university. The Dean serves on the Deans' Council and Academic Council and reports directly to the Provost and Executive Vice President of Columbus State University.
The inaugural dean will engage effectively with senior university leadership, deans of the five colleges and the library, and pertinent community locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally. The incoming dean will have the opportunity to collaboratively lead the Graduate School as the graduate faculty and staff develop new programs, develop new policies and procedures, and explore new research and external funding opportunities. The inaugural Dean of Research and Graduate Studies will create a campus climate that enhances robust research, creative and scholarly activities opportunities that promotes the “Create You” ethos for faculty, undergraduates, and graduate students. In collaboration with others, the dean is responsible for securing, overseeing, and managing resources necessary to pursue our research goals aligned with the university's strategic plan and the Graduate School's mission.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides leadership, guidance and supervision to graduate education across all colleges; Leads the Graduate Council and collaborates with other deans, program directors, unit heads, and faculty across the institution to develop curricula and academic programs that address discipline, institutional, industry, and societal needs; Engages effectively and collaboratively with senior university leadership, deans of the five colleges and the library, and pertinent community locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally; Participates in annual budget process for the Graduate School and secures, oversees, and manages internal and external resources necessary to pursue the Graduate School's mission; Maintains the integrity and strategic development of the University's graduate programs and research endeavors; Promotes and supports research, creative and scholarly activities across all disciplines at all levels; Cultivates and manages strategic relationships with both internal and external constituents; Maintains currency with higher education and graduate education best practices; Performs other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED ACADEMIC and PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- An earned terminal degree and experience sufficient to merit appointment, with tenure, at the rank of full professor in a Columbus State University academic unit. Strong administrative and interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style with a minimum of 3 years of administrative experience at the level of chair, director, or above. Possess experience managing growth and change, the ability to resolve conflict and build consensus, and a willingness to advance opportunities that will have a positive impact on CSU. A demonstrated commitment to the welfare and success of graduate students. Appreciation of the role of graduate education at a primarily undergraduate institution. A strong record of teaching, research, mentoring faculty and students, and university/professional service. A strong record in the efficient use of resources and evidence of creative approaches to garnering new resources, including external, governmental, and/or private funding agencies. A strong record in the facilitation of interdisciplinary collaboration among graduate programs. A strong record of success in promoting active learning and engagement at the graduate level. A strong record of success in promoting student and faculty research and grant writing. A strong record in advocating for graduate education and graduate students in all programs.
Required Documents to Attach
Applications and Applications must include the following information:
- A letter of interest stating how the candidate‘s experience is applicable to the position, leadership priorities, qualifications, and characteristics expressed in the search profile;
- A statement of leadership philosophy;
- A curriculum vitae, and
- The names, email addresses, and telephone numbers of five professional references, including the candidate's professional relationship with each individual (References will not be contacted without the candidate's prior consent).
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to determine, develop, and achieve mission, vision, and goals and demonstrate results Excellent people leadership and project management skills Excellent written and interpersonal communications skills Strong analytical and highly-developed organizational skills Experience managing and coaching employees at all levels Ability and successful experience supporting research, scholarly activities, and creative endeavors at all levels Knowledge of higher education organizational culture, policies and processes, especially at the graduate level Ability to use and assess strategic planning skills Ability to prioritize needs and demands Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and sound judgments Ability to investigate and analyze information and draw conclusions Ability to perform complex tasks and to prioritize multiple projects
For questions, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 706.507.8920 or [email protected]. Nominations should be submitted electronically to [email protected].
Equal Employment Opportunity
Columbus State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, Committed to Diversity in Hiring.
Special Applicant Instructions
This position will be open until filled. Candidates who apply by May 28, 2021 will be given fullest consideration. The electronic version of the search profile is available on the Columbus State University Careers portal at columbusstate.edu/graddeansearchprofile.
All applications and required documents must be submitted using Columbus State University's online employment site and a complete packet must be submitted for full consideration. Nominations should be submitted electronically to [email protected].
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=30000&JobOpeningId=226813&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency