Analytics Developer, DCRI TDS
School of Medicine:
Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation’s top medical schools. Ranked tenth among its peers, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where traditional barriers are low, interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced, and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve humanhealth locally and around the globe.
Comprised of 2,400 faculty physicians and researchers, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing and Duke University Health System create Duke Health. Duke Health is a world-class health care network. Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Private Diagnostic Clinic, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
The Analytics Developer is responsible for the design, development, implementation and maintenance of enterprise data analytics and insights solutions. The Analytics Developer will work with cross functional teams in gathering data requirements from business stakeholders and transforming the data into knowledgeable insights.
As a member of the Data Analytics and Insights Team, the Analytics Developer will be tasked with developing Data Analytics and Insights solutions such as semantic/logical models, reports, dashboards, and visualizations. The Analytics Developer will work very closely with a Data Engineer to design and build physical and logical/semantic models from sourced data warehouses and other underlying data sources. Once the tools are built and models are in place, the Analytics Developer will be expected to train business users to generate ad-hoc reports.
The Analytics Developer must be skilled at data analysis and good communication practices in working with peers, projects teams and leadership.
- Design and creation of high-impact data visualizations and data models to facilitate strategic decision making and research functions at the DCRI.
- Participate in interviewing operational stakeholders and understanding/documenting the business/data requirements.
- Understanding of complex data structures, data integration issues (validation, data cleansing), physical and logical model, and address performance tuning of complex queries.
- Participate in the development and maintenance of Data Analytics and Insights policies, procedures, and best practices
- Participate in the upgrade of software/releases, including the customization of functionality, and regression testing.
- Assisting with interfacing of data visualization components into customer facing applications or portals.
- Ensure change control processes are being documented and maintained.
- Take ownership of a problem and communicate status / risks to manager regarding solution delivery.
- Stay current on new and emerging technologies, trends and tools affecting Data Analytics and Insights development.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- BA or BS degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration or other related field or equivalent experience
- 5+ years combined experience in data analysis and business intelligence
- 2+ years development experience with one of the following BI platforms: IBM Cognos, SAP Business Objects or Microsoft Power BI
- 2+ years development experience with the following BI Data Visualization platforms: Power BI, Tableau Desktop & Tableau Enterprise Server
- Expert level SQL query writing ability to produce report results with independently written SQL queries for unit test.
- Experience working with relational database technologies including Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server, Star Schemas, and OLAP
Skills, Training and Certifications
- Strong customer focus with a demonstrated ability to work closely with technical and business users alike is required
- Experience with multiple environments need to support full SDLC (separate development, validation, and production environments)
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, leadership, project management and problem solving skills
- Demonstrates good work ethic, adherence to details, and track record of customer service
- Proven ability to work both independently and in team environments
- Excellent Verbal and written communication.
- Experience implementing visualization toolsets as an extension to an existing analytics environment.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.