Patient Service Associate - Covid Vaccination Clinic - Durham
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
General Description of the Job Class
Coordinate and participate in a variety of duties associated with daily clinic preparation process, patient identification, patient check in/out, charge posting, cash management and patient appointment scheduling. Position also involves customer service, message distribution, ancillary scheduling and preparation and referrals management.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Prepare for clinic visits by reviewing next day patients and completing next day preparation activities. Enter pre-visit orders and prepare new patient charts. Pick up X-rays, office charts, medical records, reports, petty cash and collections bag. File history sheets, ancillary reports and all other required patient record documentation. Return medical records. Attach HIPPA/Medicare documents to the encounter forms.
- Check-in patient upon arrival in the practice. Identify correct patient information in Maestro Care. Verify patient demographic data. Edit Maestro Care as needed. Accurately identify the appropriate account for patient visit. Present and educate patients on required forms and obtain signature as required by policy and procedure. Completes all Maestro Care check-in files and manage all appropriate alerts. Collect and post co-payments and balances on accounts due. Imprint all patient specific chart documents and requisition/transmittal documents. Copy, file and distribute insurance cards as indicated by procedure. Coordinate all labs/procedures as requested. Maintain private physician office charts.
- Prepare encounter forms. Investigate and account for missing encounter forms. Audit encounter forms for completeness and accuracy before batching. Batches encounter forms or charge posting in Maestro Care.
- Schedule tests and procedures. Complete and distribute ancillary service requisitions.
- Explain billing to patients according to PRMO credit and collection policies. Determine the amount of cash to be collected based on insurance plan.
- Check-out patients. Make return appointments by scheduling patients into the correct appointment type, entering the primary care physician or referring physician and scheduling tests and procedures.
- Answer telephone, take and deliver messages to physicians, nurses and others. Report obtained medical information from patients and referring physicians accurately, completely and timely. Disseminate messages according to practice communication standards
Required Qualifications at this Level
Work requires knowledge of basic grammar and mathematical principles normally acquired through high school education
Minimum of one year of work experience in directly communicating and providing service to patients or public; preferably in a healthcare related field. Experience in effectively coordinating multiple tasks or activities.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.