Associate Dean for Research, College of Natural Resources
PG190928EPInternal Recruitment :
Associate Dean for Research, College of Natural ResourcesAnticipated Hiring Range:
Commensurate with Education and ExperienceWork Schedule:
Monday - Friday; 8:00 AM - 5:00 PMJob Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
College of Natural ResourcesAbout the Department:
The College of Natural Resources:
Founded in 1929 as the School of Forestry, the College of Natural Resources (CNR) at North Carolina State University (NC State) has a long tradition of excellence in teaching, research, extension, and outreach. From its beginnings, the college’s scope and reach has steadily grown to reflect evolving industry needs and environmental concerns.
Today’s college is a national leader in addressing the many ways that people’s physical, economic and social needs are met while protecting the planet’s natural resources for future generations. Experts in the college’s extension programs are in the field every day working with businesses, industries, government, nonprofits, communities and citizens across North Carolina to provide programs and services that foster healthy communities and economies. Stationed throughout North Carolina, these professionals support the state’s largest manufacturing sector, forest and wood products; its largest service sector, tourism; and more than half a million forest landowners.
The college’s vision is to be a world leader among units of its kind, and the go-to place for solutions to natural resource challenges in both the built and natural environment. The college is committed to creating an environment where diversity and inclusion are celebrated and valued. Diversity opens the door for innovation as people from all backgrounds work together to solve today’s complex problems. Inclusion involves empowering all community members to reach their highest potential academically, professionally and personally.
CNR’s teaching, research and technical services require top-quality spaces for students and faculty to find solutions to today’s most pressing environmental issues. The college’s natural environments, living labs, built space and applied research resources are essential to NC State’s Think and Do environment.
The college is organized into various units, including administration, business services, academic affairs, information technology, forest assets, extension, diversity and inclusion, advancement and research administration; three departments – Forest Biomaterials, Forestry and Environmental Resources; and Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management; two centers, including the Center for Geospatial Analytics; and a number of research cooperatives and consortiums.Essential Job Duties:
NC State invites applications and nominations for the position of associate dean for research in the College of Natural Resources. NC State seeks an accomplished, entrepreneurial, innovative and dynamic leader in higher education research.
The associate dean will provide dynamic leadership for managing and growing the research enterprise of the College of Natural Resources. Research and scholarly activities for the college is currently $60 million dollars, in which 70% of the grants come from federal agencies. The successful candidate will oversee the CNR Research Office, including pre- and post-award administration, supervision of staff, and ensure a high level of research support and service for the college.
This position will become knowledgeable with all relevant aspects, policies and procedures governing university and college research operations. They will build and maintain relationships with the full spectrum of external stakeholders and provide leadership on college-wide and cross-college research initiatives. They will work on behalf of the faculty and staff to enhance research and scholarship across the college, and will represent the college on research and scholarship matters in university, state, national and international venues.
They will assist the dean as appropriate in building and enhancing relationships with funding agencies, and in establishing CNR’s reputation for innovation and excellence in solving natural resource challenges and raise the profile of the research portfolio of the faculty and staff of the College of Natural Resources.
This position is located in the Office of the Dean of the College of Natural Resources. This is a 12-month, 1.0 FTE appointment with approximately 0.8 dedicated to administration and 0.2 to research efforts.
The associate dean is responsible for the following:
- Establish collaborative pathways for faculty, staff and students to achieve college research goals;
- Create a supportive and cohesive environment of integrity and inclusion that cultivates excellence among diverse faculty, staff and students;
- Promote and advocate for the college within the NC State community, regionally, nationally, and internationally;
- Ensure fiscal responsibility, promote transparent decision making, and demonstrate ethical consistency;
- Expand and diversify the research portfolio of the faculty of the college;
- Work with the associate deans for research from other colleges to coordinate and expedite multi-disciplinary, multi-college proposals;
- Oversee compliance with university, state, and federal sponsor guidelines and policies;
- Supervise cost sharing and cash matching agreements;
- Facilitate USDA formula capacity fund (McIntire Stennis) allocation (~$1.4 million) to support forestry research; and
- Serve on college and university committees and perform duties as assigned by the dean.
N/AMinimum Education and Experience:
A PhD in a natural resources-related field, with a high level of scholarly accomplishments.
The successful candidate is anticipated to hold the rank of Professor or be a senior Associate Professor.
Previously attained tenure or a scholarly record to support tenure at NC State.Other Required Qualifications:
- A record of administrative and research management experience;
- A working knowledge of cost accounting standards for the research enterprise;
- Experience with a variety of funding agencies, including federal, state, private industry, and foundations;
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead teams;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Must be familiar with or show the ability to quickly become familiar with managing research expenditures;
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully set priorities, analyze data, and to think systematically from both a detailed and a strategic perspective;
- Demonstrated record of strong and consistent teamwork, ethical behavior, and collaboration with faculty, administrators, staff and students;
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment; and
- Administrative and leadership experience, including the ability to implement policies and decisions.
- Knowledge of intellectual property policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of development and fundraising.
- Experience with or appreciation of Land Grant Universities.
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
04/30/2021Anticipated Close Date:
Open until filled.Special Instructions to Applicants:
Inquiries, nominations and applications are invited and may be directed to Frank Barragan, Recruitment Services Manager, at (919) 515-4365 or [email protected], or to Robert Bardon, Nomination Committee Chair, at (919) 515-5575 or [email protected] More information can also be found by visiting go.ncsu.edu/cnr-research-search.
Confidential review of applications will begin in August of 2021, and will continue until the position is filled. Candidates should provide the following:
- Curriculum vitae;
- Cover letter stating the motivation for the application;
- A statement on contributions that have been made to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion. This statement should include an explanation of what advancing each of these areas means to you, how you encouraged or promoted these areas in your professional career, and your future goals for advancing each of these areas if hired for this position (UPLOAD AS OTHER DOCUMENT 1);
- A statement on the vision for advancing research within the College of Natural Resources (UPLOAD AS OTHER DOCUMENT 2); and
- Contact information for three (3) professional references.
SAAO Tier IIFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Fire/Explosions, Mandatory - Medical Emergencies, Mandatory - Hazardous Material Incidents, Mandatory - Transportation Accidents, Mandatory - Evacuations/Natural Hazards, Mandatory - Utilities/Infrastructure Failure, Mandatory - Threats of Violence/Terrorism/Interpersonal EmergenciesIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
150101 - College of Natural ResourcesAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.