OFFICE PROFILE: The Office of the Registrar originates and maintains official records of student files and transcripts, verifies eligibility of students for athletics, registration, and graduation.
ROLE: Responsible for acquiring, implementing, and maintaining the University's required legal authorization for out-of-state education activities which will sustain and increase access to online/distance learning programs and courses to students in other states and US Territories. Responsible for monitoring the academic progress of students participating in programs with additional specific academic eligibility requirements, primarily NCAA student athletes. All activities of this position are to contribute to the fulfillment of the mission and vision of Concordia University Irvine.
- Recommended by the Registrar
- Approved by the Executive Vice President/Provost
- Reports to the Registrar
- Interacts and functions cooperatively with other department and campus personnel as needed, especially those personnel in the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment and the athletics department
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to accomplish each of the below duties satisfactorily:
State Authorization Responsibilities (60%)
- Report generation and in-depth data analysis as requested by those involved in state authorizationResearch state and national laws and regulations relating to state authorizationComplete research for individual existing and potential programsGather University and program information and data needed to complete state authorization applications from all areas within the universityEstablish relationships with state compliance officials to facilitate the University's understanding and compliance with states' requirementsCollaborate with University stakeholders to ensure University compliance with applicable laws and regulationsMaintain a database and website(s) on state authorization and communicate all changes appropriatelyMaintain and publish University state authorization approval or exemption status and required consumer disclosuresBuild, maintain, and update website for student complaint processes for all out-of-state students and their respective complaint processesPrepare and maintain requests for payment associated with compliance feesAssist in coordination of document gathering and logistics planning for major accreditation projects, such as self-study reports and site visitsAssist with other regional and specialized accreditation and authorization projects as needed, such as site visit planning and execution
NCAA Responsibilities (40%)
- Coordinate programs to ensure academic compliance with all applicable university policy and degree requirements
- Maintain understanding of compliance requirements to ensure adherence to NCAA and conference by-laws and regulations
- Monitor academic eligibility for all NCAA sports including good academic standing, full-time status, and progress toward degree pre-season, during season and post-season
- Maintain and manage all NCAA student-athlete eligibility files and documentation
- Assists with updating and maintaining athlete academic eligibility information in Compliance Assistant (CA) software
- Assist with the preparation of eligibility reports and squad lists and other institutional, conference and NCAA forms and reports
- Respond to inquiries from coaches and athletics for evaluation of prospective student athlete's academic records for initial and continuing eligibility
- Review evaluated transcripts and variances for application to program eligibility requirements, working in cooperation with the Coordinator of Records: Transfer Articulation
- Provide support and coordinate in preparation for program audits and reviews
- Works closely with Admissions personnel on initial transferability and eligibility
- Participate in Athletic Compliance Committee meetings and others as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
A bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university is required. A master's level degree in Education, Business/Management, or Administration preferred. Experience in working with governmental regulatory and compliance agencies helpful. Experience in NCAA eligibility is preferred.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Experience with Student Information Systems (Banner, Peoplesoft, etc.) preferableAdvanced knowledge of ExcelAbility to maintain confidentiality Patience and sensitivity to deal with studentsProblem solving and sound judgementAbility to learn new softwareExcellent written and verbal communication skillsAdvanced background in research and statistics preferably some legal experienceStrong attention to detail and accuracyBasic knowledge of statistical softwareStrong computer skills; advanced skills in the use of Microsoft ExcelOrganizational skills with the ability to work with little supervisionProficient in English: writing, spelling, grammar, and speakingAbility to be flexible to changing conditions and needsAbility to work effectively with and through other peopleWorking knowledge of computer software used in this officeWillingness to learn new or additional job-related tasksAwareness that behavior and dress should be appropriate for the environment of a Christian university
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret university policies, procedures, educational publications, synodical publications, and governmental procedures.
- Ability to write reports, correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from other staff, faculty, administration, students, families and the general public
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals
- Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Attitude and Demeanor:
- Exemplify the Christian philosophy of the Concordia University Irvine mission statement in all aspects of day-to-day duties and responsibilities
- Communicate warmth, understanding and helpfulness when interacting with students, staff, faculty and the general public
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with all who come into contact with this department
- Exhibit a cheerful, positive, loyal, team-member attitude toward the purposes, programs, policies and goals of the university
- Respect lines of communications
- Maintain confidentiality on matters pertaining to this office and the campus as a whole
- Constantly strive to improve performance
- Formulate goals and objectives and expect to be evaluated upon them
Employees are responsible for complete cooperation with all aspects of the safety and health program, including compliance with all rules and regulations, and for continuously practicing safety while performing their duties.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Repetitive motions sitting at a computer keyboard
- Rising and sitting repeatedly
- Climbing stairs and walking to other offices
- Ability to lift, pull, grasp, stoop, and reach to utilize 5-drawer file cabinets
- Ability to lift or move up to 50 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. It includes office equipment, such phones, computers and copy machines.
Employee Signature Date
Full Job Description Concordia University - Irvine Cahttps://cui.applicantpro.com