The Administrative Support position must employ complex decision-making skills and use discretion and effective interpersonal skills to prioritize and complete tasks within the programmatic scope of the Industrial Relations Section. Tasks are related to business management, event planning, communications, and database creation and maintenance, and website content creation and management. The Administrative Support must be able to build effective relationships with faculty, other staff, and graduate students to complete tasks that contribute to a highly efficient and productive environment, leveraging relationships along with the use of technology and processes. This position also requires the ability to switch between working under close supervision and working independently, depending on the activity. This position reports to the IR Section associate director.Responsibilities
Duties Include but are not limited to:
General Office Support: (40%)
- Staffs the front desk and serves as primary phone/visitor contact; greets visitors and responds to all manner of questions in person, by phone, and email.
- Maintains a neat appearance of public spaces in the Section.
- Handles and prioritizes incoming materials and requests.
- Distributes mail, paychecks, and packages. Displays daily newspapers. Sets up and sends fedex, UPS, etc.
- Serves as a telephone coordinator. Sets up and updates telephone services for employees/visitors.
- Serves as a building/Section access coordinator.
- Orders books for IRS Reading Room
- Maintains working relationship with all our outside service vendors including; Quench water, Canon copier, Shred-it services, Trophy Awards.
- Creates requisitions, marketplace orders, vouchers, honorarium payments, and other related transactions as assigned.
- Serves as Concur expense delegate for students, visiting researchers, and senior research specialists, providing assistance in preparing and reviewing expense reports.
- Maintains inventory of and purchases general office supplies and general office equipment.
- Provides general office and clerical support (building services/maintenance requests, shredding,etc.).
- Maintains Section’s administrative mailing and distribution lists and databases.
- Manages room scheduling requests for LAS Rm 271 via the Event Management System (EMS), routing requests to others for review and approval as needed.
- Assists other administrative staff and the associate director on projects as needed.
Event Planning: (20%)
- Serves as main contact for IRS weekly seminars and workshops, coordinates all food orders and deliveries.
- Coordinates seminar speaker schedules with Section director.
- Manages travel arrangements and reimbursements for seminar guest speakers and other visitors.
- Coordinates workshop schedule in collaboration with faculty coordinator.
- Organizes all Section receptions, holiday events, and Defense celebrations.
- Provides additional support for special conferences and events as needed.
Website Content Management and Creation (25%)
- Within a Drupal-templated site, enters regular updates for events, working papers, announcements, and other content.
- Develops and implements a schedule for the creation and posting of new content throughout the academic year, based on existing and new web content strategies and plans.
- Conducts research on web communication best practices among peer institutions and proposes ideas for new content based on research.
- Collaborates with marketing personnel in Economics and the University’s Public Affairs/Communications office to coordinate content that promotes the work and achievements of Section members.
- As appropriate, manages social media activity.
- Participates in planning for a website redesign phased project and serves as main contact with developer project team
Faculty Assistance: (15%)
- Collects data and articles requested by faculty and visiting faculty.
- Responsible for sending out and recording all final grades from the QE2 for the Spring semester.
- Makes copies and maintains subject matter material for various economic classes. Upload materials to Canvas as needed.
- Assists with letter/applications for senior research specialists and undergraduate students applying to graduate school.
- Proofreads and edits course materials as needed.
- Facilitates orders at Labyrinth Books for course material as needed.
- Assist with research needs (data collection) when requested.
- Serve as Concur expense delegate for 2-3 faculty members, preparing expense reports.
- May assist with travel arrangements and calendar management for 2-3 faculty.
- High School diploma and 5 years related experience.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team
- Superior interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a broad array of people
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to set priorities and juggling competing demands and deadlines
- Excellent writing skills, especially writing for websites and social media
- Tact, excellent judgment, and the ability to maintain confidentiality when handling sensitive situations
- Comfort with decision making and problem solving
- Particular attention to details and accuracy
- Experience with academic event planning (seminars, conferences, workshops)
- Advanced computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Professional) and the ability and willingness to learn new systems quickly and use technology effectively.
- Proficiency with working with Drupal website templates
- Experience working with faculty in a higher education environment
- Experience with Princeton Business systems, such as Prime, Concur, and Canvas a plus
- Familiarity with social media content management and strategies
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAWStandard Weekly Hours36.25Eligible for OvertimeYesBenefits EligibleYesEssential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)NoPhysical Capacity Exam RequiredNoValid Driver’s License RequiredNo#LI-NC1