Job location: Colby College
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-04-30
Job DescriptionDepartment:Custodial 1Pay Rate Type:HourlyEmployee Type:Job Summary:Facilities Services is seeking a flexible, motivated, and conscientious individual to join our diverse and committed team. The custodian specialist will perform a variety of specialty tasks surrounding light duty, restroom, utility, and vacuum. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the diversity of our College, including its cultural and ethnic diversity.
Facilities Services Department
Full-Time, Non-Exempt, Hourly, Support Staff Appointment
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide general cleaning and maintenance of assigned areas, complete work orders, and accomplish project work as directed
- Complete event setup and cleanup for College functions
- Pick up trash in common areas; empty trash, recycling bins, and reinstall liners in all common spaces including rest rooms; haul trash to dumpster
- Vacuum all traffic areas and other surfaces as necessary; spot clean where needed
- Clean and maintain high visibility and first impression areas
- Dust all appropriate horizontal and vertical high and low surfaces
- Spot clean surfaces including walls, fixtures, door, drinking fountains, elevators, stairwells, push plates, and glass (marks and dirt); polish brass
- Refill toilet tissues and other dispensers; turn out lights and secure areas as needed
- Clean and disinfect all fixtures, mirrors, partitions, and doors in rest rooms; sweep and mop floors
- Assist with maintaining inventory of custodial equipment, schedule service repairs as needed
- Support emergency response/cleanup of biohazards, follow bloodborne pathogen protocols
- Provide support of snow removal during and after storms
- Assist with Universal Waste Management Program and Colby sustainability initiatives
- Comply with all safety rules, OSHA regulations, and Colby’s Fleet Safety Policy requirements, including following posted speed limits
- Perform additional duties as assigned; duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- High school diploma or equivalent required; professional coursework or post-secondary education are a plus
- Ability to follow all safety rules and procedures is required
- Attention to detail, dependability, and initiative required
- Previous custodial experience desired
- Ability to repair equipment especially vacuum cleaners is highly desired
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills with a high level of motivation
- Must be able to work independently, exercise judgment, and manage projects with minimal supervision as well as to adjust as new projects are assigned
- Valid driver’s license required and must meet the College’s Fleet Safety Policy requirements
- Ability to make an impact through work as a member of a team and diverse community
This position reports to the custodial supervisor and interacts regularly with faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to perform the essential functions.
General indoor and outdoor campus environment. Position involves frequent movement, including walking, standing, bending, twisting, shoveling, reaching, and lifting. Must have the ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
Interested candidates should apply electronically by clicking the "Apply" button on the Colby College website. Please submit a letter of interest, resume, and the contact information of three professional references.
A review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.