Director of Development
Job no: 495627
Work type: Non-Classified/Professional
Location: Boise, ID
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.Job Summary/Basic Function:
The purpose of this position is to raise private funding for Boise State University through individual, corporate, and foundation contributions. The position is responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of prospective and current major gift donors to Boise State University. This position may be assigned to Colleges or DepartmentsLevel Scope:
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.Essential Functions:
60% of Time the Director of Development
● Prepare and implement strategies to attain the College/Unit’s annual and campaign development plans. Work with College administrators, faculty, staff, and designees to identify and define priority needs to be funded through external support.
● Plans and implements strategies for donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. Raises major gifts through pledges, outright gifts or deferred gifts.
● Researches and cultivates donors to match the needs of the College/Unit with interests of prospective donors. Coordinates and cooperates with the Dean of the college on prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities.
● Assigns priority to development activities over more programmatic activities.
● Serves as the main liaison between University Advancement and unit leadership and faculty.
● Manages relationships with a portfolio of prospective donors with responsibility for qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
● Monitors and records prospect contacts to ensure positive and purposeful prospect
● Implement, coordinate, and execute an effective and efficient donor relations event and activities strategy
● Administration of member benefits and fulfillment, includes maintaining communication with groups.
● Increase fund giving through review of benefits and improved donor correspondence.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
● Demonstrated ability to raise major gifts.
● Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written.
● Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
● Demonstrated ability to manage prospects from identification through stewardship.
● Must be willing to travel.
● Must be organized and demonstrate the ability to work under pressure.
● Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information.
● Ability to manage prospects from identification through stewardship
● Ability to articulate and meet goals/objectives
● Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
● Ability to think through complicated processes and have exceptional problem-solving skills.
Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years’ experience or equivalentPreferred Qualifications:
- Degree in Development area/fundraising
- Experience working in higher education
Salary commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://www.boisestate.edu/hrs/benefits/.Required Application Materials:
Please provide a resume that includes employment history (including dates) and a cover letter that describes your interest and qualifications for the position.
Advertised: May 1, 2021 Mountain Daylight Time
Applications close: May 31, 2021 Mountain Daylight Time