Systems Administrator 1
Search #: 495228
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
Categories: Information Technology
Under the supervision of a designated team leader, this position provides complex technical support including installation, monitoring, troubleshooting, and problem solving in support of the University’s Storage and Backup environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee SAN fiber channel and NAS environments
- Ensure stable performance for the storage, and backup environments through performance monitoring and tuning
- Assist project managers, application administrators and technical staff in all aspects of daily work.
- Manage and maintain proper backups, replication and disaster recovery procedures
- Create and maintain documentation about technical and usage procedures and methodologies
- Participate effectively as a team member on technical projects
- Consult with and supports end users
- Perform related duties as required
- Support a production environment during defined maintenance periods as well as outside of normal working hours to ensure minimal impact to users
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related discipline or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- At least 2 years of technical work experience in a computer related field which must include storage and backup technologies
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Enterprise Storage hardware and software
- Demonstrated understanding of use cases for thin/thick provisioning
- Knowledge and experience with Enterprise backup solution (such as: CommVault or Actifio)
- Understanding of performance tuning and capacity management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proven presentation skills
- Highly developed interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Capable of meeting deadlines and working under pressure
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Familiarity with NetApp suite of management utilities
- Familiar with NFS & CIFS protocols and IP replication & snapshot technologies
- Experience with SAN fiber channel environments
- Working experience with performance tuning and capacity management
- Familiarity with Azure, AWS Cloud Environments
- Experience with the design, implementation and administration of block storage, NAS and backup environments
- Proficient in using various command line environments
- Knowledge of basic networking
- Proficient in various command-lines and scripting
- Experience with Monitoring Tools such as Zabbix and Splunk
This is a full time, 12-month, UCPEA position with outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. For additional information regarding benefits visit: https://hr.uconn.edu/benefits-beyond-pay/. For additional information about the University visit: http://www.uconn.edu/ and for detailed position information and the job description visit: http://uitsjobs.uconn.edu.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #495228 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on May 14, 2021.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Apr 30 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: May 14 2021 Eastern Daylight Time