Sr Business Development Manager
DescriptionCU InnovationsSr. Business Development Manager Position #782850 – Requisition #21074
University of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical Campus
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers
* The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.CU Innovations has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Sr. Business Development Manager position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a public education, clinical and research facility serving 4,500 students, and a world-class medical destination at the forefront of life-changing science, medicine, and healthcare. CU Anschutz offers more than 42 highly rated degree programs through 6 schools and colleges, and receives over $500 million in research awards each year. We are the single largest health professions education provider in Colorado, awarding nearly 1,450 degrees annually. Powered by our award-winning faculty, renowned researchers and a reputation for academic excellence, the CU Anschutz Medical Campus drives innovation from the classroom to the laboratory to the delivery of unparalleled patient care. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here. Department Summary:
CU Innovations is working with researchers and clinicians to discover new treatment options, medical devices and innovative technologies to improve the lives and outcomes of patients. CU Innovations works directly with researchers, clinicians and external partners at the University of Colorado, and staff at UCHealth and at Children’s Hospital Colorado to commercialize their innovations. It is our mission to enable commercialization through the best route for a given technology and ensure that technologies can benefit patients.Job Summary:
The Senior Business Development Manager will increase campus revenue by identifying profitable business opportunities and developing long-term business growth strategies. This person will support and guide internal and external relationships. This professional must be a strategic and critical thinker with a proven record of success in expanding company objectives and exceeding business goals.Jobs in this career family provide general business operations of the organization or a combination of operational responsibilities covering multiple career families. Functions include institutional research, statistical analysis, policy development and review, strategic planning and broad unit business operations such as parking and transportation services, risk management, childcare services, real estate and property management, retail services or job responsibilities that combine fiscal, HR and operational management responsibilities.Program Directors are responsible for the ongoing leadership and oversight of a program or function, including the development of strategies and processes which contribute to the University and/or campus mission and accountability for services provided. These positions typically do not supervise others.Examples of Work Performed:
CU Innovations will expand and grow its business via further partnerships, strategic partnerships, and joint ventures. This position is responsible for sourcing, leading, valuing, negotiating and executing strategically aligned partnerships that drive mission aligned value for CU Innovations in either incremental cash flow or return on invested capitalKey Responsibilities Include:
- Identifying transactions and partnerships that further CU Innovations’ strategic priorities.
- Engage major pharmaceutical and industry clients across multiple stake holding groups including but not limited to C-Suite Executives, Therapeutic leadership teams, bioinformatics, IT and R&D.
- Secure strategic new business, close high value deals, while growing existing partnerships.
- Execute transactions including process management, structuring, negotiations, and closing deals.
- Create thesis documents, business plans and deal memos.
- Develop strategic plans that will be used to guide the positioning of CU Anschutz assets, and they external partnerships sought.
- Advise, drive, and negotiate deal teams.
- Lead team of shared resources Corporate Development staff in development of operating, financial, and deal models.
- Perform due diligence, including financial analysis & risk assessments in support of proposed transactions, on technologies, markets, partners, and ventures.
- Partner closely with CU Anschutz subject matter experts to complete required work and transaction recommendations.
- Manage cross-functional due diligence teams in partnership with CU Anschutz subject matter experts with a hands-on, team-oriented approach.
- Ensure effective management of post-closing deal terms, hand-off to integration teams, value tracking and course adjustment as necessary.
- 5 years of relevant business experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Possess a JD or MBA or master’s degree in a related field
- 10+ years’ relevant business experience, including demonstrated ability in generating and executing new business ventures, and analyzing and reporting on new business opportunities.
- Experience in commercial/solution sales/strategic marketing in the Pharmaceutical / Biotech industry, with significant achievements and relevant network.
- A track record of developing and implementing strategic and tactical marketing plans within pharmaceutical / biotech industries.
- A successful corporate development and deal-making track record in smaller, entrepreneurial company situations and/or in a large corporate environment, where business skills and knowledge, (including relevant strategic, financial, marketing and operational expertise) have been gained is required.
- Must have ability and confidence to effectively function independently, be a self-starter, and be a team player within a collaborative, consensus-driven organization.
- Other required skills include creativity, excellent communication (written and oral) skills, strong financial analysis, and strategic and innovative thinking capabilities.
- Must have successfully led direct reports or project team members in previous positions.
- Must have ability to effectively present to internal and external groups at a high level representing the leadership of the organization.
- Some domestic travel required.
Required: Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.
- This position reports to the Director of Business Development.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.Salary and Benefits:
The salary range (or hiring range
) for this position has been established at $87,515 to $131,272. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above salary range (or hiring range
) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected]
. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. Job Category:
Business ServicesPrimary Location:
Apr 30, 2021Unposting Date:
Jun 1, 2021, 11:59:00 PM
Share this job with your network:
Learn more on Inside Higher Ed's College Page for University