Laboratory Technician I
Job no: 516510
Work type: Staff Part-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine, Research/Scientific/Grants, Veteran's Preference Eligible
Department:29100000 - MD-PHARMACOLOGY / THERAPEUTICS
Laboratory Technician IJob Description:
The Laboratory Technician I herein described assists researchers in studies into the brain basis for sensory-guided decisions and actions. Techniques utilized in the laboratory include in vivo electrophysiology and imaging, behavioral testing, histology, microscopy, and computational data analysis. The successful candidate will participate in the planning of experiments and analysis of experimental data under the supervision of the principal investigator (PI) and assist the PI in the overall administration of laboratory operations.
- Support the daily operations of the laboratory, including maintaining the lab supply inventory by means of verifying inventory and ordering supplies/equipment, maintaining biohazard, safety, and animal records, the training of lab personnel in basic lab functions, as well as supervision of undergraduate students in their lab activities.
- Assist the PI in the preprocessing and analysis of experimental data.
- Participate in the planning and logistics of experiments under the supervision of the PI.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
$15.00 per hourMinimum Requirements:
Associate’s degree in an appropriate area; or a high school diploma or equivalent and two years of related experience. Appropriate college course work or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in the processing and handling of in vitro electrophysiological data is advantageous. Experience in microinjections is advantageous.
- Working knowledge of the pClamp software platform for the analysis of electrophysiological data would be highly advantageous. Training and knowledge in Excel is advantageous.
- Proven ability at having good interpersonal and communication skills, outstanding organizational skills, and meticulous attention to detail
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter, resume and references.
This is a part-time, 0.75 FTE position.
The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
This is a time-limited position.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: 30 Apr 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 07 May 2021 Eastern Daylight Time