Director for Recreational Sports
Job no: 516522
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Executive/Director/Management, Recreation/Event
Department:04020000 - SA-RECREATIONAL SPORTS
Director, Recreational SportsJob Description:
Administration: 1) Formulate and administer a yearly budget in excess of $8 million for Recreational Sports (RecSports) 2) responsible for hiring, training, supervising, and managing a staff that includes over 40 full time employees and over 700 student employees 3) supervise all planning and evaluation processes for RecSports 4) develop, implement, and interpret policies and procedures related to the successful management of facilities and programs 5) ensure a robust assessment and evaluation process focused on inclusion, quality improvement, and forward-thinking recreational opportunities and 6) ensure up to date, comprehensive emergency action plans for all facilities and programs.
Facilities (including two recreation and fitness centers; the Center for Outdoor Recreation and Education; two lake front parks at Lake Wauburg; Florida Pool; numerous outdoor sports complexes): 1) Direct campus recreation facilities to serve the university community 2) oversee all physical operations pertaining to the department 3) ensure the safety and security of facilities including emergency action planning 4) plan improvement and major renovations for campus recreation facilities 5) ensure appropriate systems are in place to manage the facilities and programs in a manner that protects the interest of UF 6) direct the use of all resources to serve the UF community.
Programs (including an intramural sports program with over 2,000 teams; 51 sport clubs; outdoor adventure; aquatics; fitness; wellness and group exercise (165 classes/week): 1) Educate students on healthy living, the benefits of physical activity, and community building through sport by providing a comprehensive array of programs 2) develop opportunities for students to engage in RecSports 3) contribute to student learning through the student employment program 4) develop a comprehensive assessment plan to demonstrate student learning, development, and engagement.
Partnerships: 1) Develop and maintain collaborative partnerships that encourage innovation
2) maintain effective relationships with other entities on campus to educate and enhance healthy living
3) maintain close working relationship with the Recreational Sports Board of Directors, campus student leaders, and student groups 4) seek opportunities to research the impact of recreation, leisure, sport, etc. on students mental and physical health 5) active in various professional associations that promote the advancement of recreation and wellness.
Division of Student Affairs Support: Represent UF on appropriate committees at conferences on the national, state, and university-level; participate in division-wide responsibilities such as emergency dean, divisional programs, mentoring programs, and selection committees.
Other duties as assigned including but not limited to 1) Provide feedback to the appropriate entity regarding the safety of programs, equipment, and facilities 2) conduct daily observations and/or use said equipment and facilities 3) operate a state vehicle as needed.Expected Salary:
Commensurate with education and experienceMinimum Requirements:
Master's degree in an appropriate area and six years of relevant experience; or a bachelor's degree in an appropriate area and eight years of relevant experience. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.Preferred Qualifications:
EDUCATION & TRAINING: Master’s degree with a major in higher education, sports management, business administration, exercise science, or equivalent.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of ten (10) years of full-time experience in all phases of collegiate recreation programs, facility management, and holistic health and wellness.
- Knowledge of trends within collegiate recreation and health initiatives on a college campus.
- Experience with management of a variety of programming initiatives such as population specific programming, online programming, and/or other programs that enhance student success.
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong supervisory skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong human relations and interpersonal skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strategic planning skills
- Administrative skills
- Organizational skills
- Ability to provide direction and work in a fast-paced environmentAbility to communicate effectivelyAbility to establish and maintain positive working relationships with staff, students, and vendorsAbility to make data-informed decisions and use research to guide planningAbility to work cooperatively with students, staff, and UF departmentsAbility to hire and train student and professional staffAbility to analyze complex problems and to develop and implement solutionsAbility to positively contribute to the body of knowledge within the field of campus recreation
Special Instructions to Applicants:
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS: Commitment to the objectives of higher education.
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume. Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
This is a time-limited position.Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: 30 Apr 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 28 May 2021 Eastern Daylight Time