Organic Farm Production and Outreach Associate
Posting Date: May 1, 2021 Posting End Date: July 1, 2021
Position: Organic Farm Production and Outreach Associate Location: CAENS/Extension/GWCAES
Status: Full Time (Exempt)
In keeping with the President’s commitment to Tuskegee University becoming an “Outcomes-Oriented University,” the ideal Organic Farm Production and Outreach Associate will possess the willingness to use his/her expertise to assist in the University’s efforts to be a sustainable academic organization committed to excellence.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
This position supports the Organic Farming Program at Tuskegee University by joining the research team by studying soil, crop, and crop protection and conducting consumer education in organic farming systems. We pursue a deeply interested person in research and production of organic produce and are excited about educating and delivering to Tuskegee University staff, personnel, and the community certified organic produce. The successful candidate will provide leadership to:
- Develop a year-round program in the production of certified fruits, vegetables, ornamental plants, or nursery and coordinate planting activities in the TU organic greenhouse and organic plots;
- Form a student organic farming group and develop educational materials for student training on all aspects of organic farming in Alabama, including production and regulatory requirements and develop a platform for project communications through social media;
- Grow nursery plants in the organic greenhouse and transplant them to the field as well as direct seeding other crops. Apply organic fertilizers, inspect crops and spray certified organic pesticides to control insects, diseases, and fungi. Harvest and inspect crops by hand;
- Perform physical labor, irrigate crops and maintain pipes and an irrigation pump. Operate and service light farm machinery and tools;
- Alert farm crew when ploughing and cultivation are needed;
- Document and log all organic farming activities in maintaining compliance with organic regulations and certification. Make sure the farm passes organic inspection and certification every year;
- Locate sources, order and stock seeds, fertilizers, and other inputs;
- Coordinate worker activities such as planting, fertilizer application, harvesting, grading, payroll, recordkeeping, and delivery of organic produce to TU and its community;
- Coordinate growing activities, analyze market conditions to determine acreage allocations to crops
- Help coordinate field days, workshops, and conferences developed within Tuskegee University Cooperative Extension Program;
- Develop a series of professional development training sessions for Extension Professionals in Organic Production and Management
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture or closely related discipline.
- At least one-year experience in organic agriculture
- A team player – working with TU students, research and extension faculty and staff. Possess mechanical skills.
- Previous experience growing organic crops and working with organic farmers is a plus
Commensurate with education, training, and experience
Additional Position Information:
- This position require weekend and after work hours’ job responsibilities, depending on assignments
- This position require travel? Yes, out-of-state (conferences, workshops, and training) (for all except the Coordinator and Agent positions add local travel (mainly))
- This position is funded through restricted outside funding
**The statements contained in this job announcement reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. **
APPLICATIONS will be accepted in the Office of Human Resources. Each applicant, including all current/existing employees, must complete and submit a Tuskegee University employment application, resume/CV, (3) letters of reference (with detailed contact information) and copies of unofficial transcripts (official transcript(s) will be required upon hire). Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications and submit a completed application packet in order to be considered for the position. The University reserves the right not to fill the position in the event of budgetary or operational constraints.
Office of Human Resources
1200 West Montgomery Road
101 Kresge Center
Tuskegee, Alabama 36088
Email Address: [email protected] Fax: 334-724-4319
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer-Male/Female/Veteran/Disabled
Federal law requires identity and employment eligibility verifications on Form I-9 within three (3) business days
of employment. Must be able to pass a drug screen and background check.