Financial Admin Spec, Sr
Job Title: Financial Admin Spec, Sr
Location: Finance Service Team
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 605387
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
- Scope of work may change as full implementation of the Service Team is realized.
- ***Please submit a resume and cover letter with your completed application.***
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
Processes financial and financial-related transactions to ensure compliance with standard procedures and guidelines are followed.
- Assembles, researches, and summarizes information from various sources or performs simple calculations to support financial transactions.
- Initiates procurement of goods and services on behalf of service recipients; and liaises with vendors to initiate vendor set-up in the university financial system, request quotes and final invoices, arrange for delivery of goods and services, etc.
- Utilizes PeopleSoft to execute transactions in a timely and accurate manner – requisitions, expense reports, journal entries, position funding changes, etc.
- Initiates and completes Travel Specialist functions for service recipient departments, including but not limited to: booking travel, initiating the Exhibit J form, processing travel reimbursements, etc.
- Prepares deposit documents for all types of tender.
- Organizes and maintains appropriate documentation to ensure compliance with university policy and process.
- Tracks multiple processes and transactions and identifies issues or delays, following-up with central offices and service recipients to facilitate consistency in workflow for purchasing of goods and services, booking travel, payment processing, etc.
- Receives and responds to inquiries from service recipients regarding financial procedures and policies.
- Escalates issues and questions to Financial Administration Coordinator and/or the Assistant Manager, Financial Administration.
- Suggests process improvements and new procedures to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of key transactions for such flows as purchasing, travel and expense, cash handling, deposits, and journal transfer procedures.
- May arrange appointments and meetings
- High school degree or equivalent AND
- 1-3 years of accounting experience, OR
- A combination of related education, experience, and training.
- Associate’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field or equivalent.
- Experience in financial administration.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of recordkeeping procedures.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and PeopleSoft Financials.
- Data entry.
- Skill in maintaining accounting or bookkeeping records.
- Adaptable to frequent change.
- Work collaboratively within a cross-functional team.
- Communicate effectively.
- Listens actively.
- Manage detailed information.
- Balance competing priorities.
- Work with highly confidential and/or sensitive information.
- Promote a diverse, inclusive environment.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
The budgeted salary amount is $41,000.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The incumbent is eligible for overtime pay or compensatory time according to University policy. Further, the employee must submit timesheets that accurately reflect all hours worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
Open until further notice.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.