Part-Time ESOL Instructor(s)
Locations:: Haverhill, MA
Posted:: Apr 27, 2021
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: PT No Benefits
Position ID:: 130425
Part-Time ESOL Instructor(s): Center Adult Education; Online; Total hours include on site prep time, additional hours for required staff meetings and professional development; MCCC/MTA Unit Position(s)
Summary Northern Essex Community College's Center for Adult Education is seeking part-time instructors to use Google Classroom to upload weekly lesson plans and Zoom to virtually meet with students. Class schedules will be entirely online. The ESOL Instructor facilitates a contextualized, competency-based approach to teaching and encourages students to be active participants in their own learning. This flexible yet rigorous pedagogy reflects current adult learning theory reflected in the ESOL Curriculum MA English Language Proficiency for Adult Education (ELPS-AE) and the CCRSAE.
This pool will be accessed when an opening arises. Your application will remain active for three years. After this time, you will need to apply again with current, updated information if you are still interested in remaining a part of the pool.
- Review and integrate Continuous Improvement Plan Goals.
- Teach English Literacy based on the MA ELPS-AE and relevant CCRSAE standards.
- Contextualize relevant content into lessons.
- Incorporate and teach digital literacy.
- Select and develop appropriate textbooks and materials.
- Develop, administer and submit weekly formative assessments.
- Use data to tailor instruction.
- Monitor student attendance daily and enter in a student database system, LACES.
- Establish a welcoming, respectful learning environment that fosters student active participation and a culture of high expectations.
- Implement various instructional methods that encourage student achievement.
- Provide input for planning and participation in program development activities.
- Collaborate with team during common planning time to develop and align lessons.
- Refer students to Advisor as needed.
- Submit written unit and lesson plans as required.
- Maintain a current substitute packet to be available for an unplanned absence.
- Attend staff meetings as required.
- Attend at least 12 hours of professional development activities per year, pre-service and other required program development activities.
- Communicate with Coordinator, Advisor and other instructors regularly.
- Participate in DESE-approved assessment training.
- Participate in evaluation meetings with Coordinator or Program Director.
- Bachelor's degree in Education required
- ESOL teaching experience
- Sensitivity to the needs of adult learners
- Must be highly organized and detail-oriented
- Must have scheduling flexibility
- Computer skills in Microsoft office, internet, email, PowerPoint, Excel and Zoom
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work as a team member
- MA in TESOL/Linguistics preferred
- Understanding of second language acquisition preferred
- Bilingual English and Spanish
- Experience working with and supporting a culturally diverse, urban population in a Hispanic-Serving Institution
SALARY: $30.03 per hour
These are non-benefitted positions.
TO APPLY: To be considered for these positions you must submit a cover letter & resume online.
Northern Essex Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, religion, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, maternity leave, military service and national origin and any other protected class in its education programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the American with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statues and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding Americans with Disabilities Act, the Rehabilitation Act and related statutes and regulations, Affirmative Action, non-discrimination policies, and Title IX compliance/sexual harassment: Assistant Director of Human Resources, Elizabete Trelegan B-219, 978-556-3928/ [email protected] Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation or sexual violence shall be referred to the College's Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.
Prospective employees are encouraged to review the College's Annual Security Report (ASR), in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, which can be found on the disclosure page of the College's website at: http://www.necc.mass.edu/clery